Replaced t5hi with led need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm trying to replace my aquatic life dual t5ho and I'm looking for an led with equivalent par for the plants. The current satellite plus is looking pretty nice and was thinking of getting 2 of them for my 75 gallon. My other option would be a finnex ray2 with a monster ray. I'm at a stand still between the two options so I'm trying to find people with experience with these fixtures to throw their opinion out there.

Although i really like the color output of the current satellite LED+ fixtures, the intensity (PAR) would be less than a RAY 2 / Monster Ray combo i believe.

What plants are you planning on growing? How tall is your tank?

Although i really like the color output of the current satellite LED+ fixtures, the intensity (PAR) would be less than a RAY 2 / Monster Ray combo i believe.

What plants are you planning on growing? How tall is your tank?

21 inches with 3 inches of substrate. Im growing dhg,banana plant,scarlet temple,amazon swords,and java ferns

I use a finnex ray 2 and I ordered a monster ray I'll getting it today. I like the ray2, and have had good growth in a 24 inch deep tank. You could also look at buildmyled I've heard good things about those, but I think they were a more expensive than the ray2 if I'm not mistaken.

So it basically evens out. I'm not sure, but you might get more par out of the monster ray and ray 2 combo.

So it basically evens out. I'm not sure, but you might get more par out of the monster ray and ray 2 combo.

The finnex 2 by itself would put out more par then both current satellite plus fixtures but the problem is I don't wont all the plants color to be washed out. I also don't want to overdo the lighting either and the monster ray has no par values posted :-(

There's PAR posted for the Monster Ray. According to Lowe on TPT...

" Here are some quick numbers for you on a 48" MonsterRAY.

Inches directly below unit : PAR

3" : 130
6" : 85
9" : 58
12" : 40
15" : 30
18" : 25

Being that these are ony RED, Green, and Blue LEDs, I found the decrease ratio in PAR in relation to depth very interesting."

SOURCE:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=263002

Another good option that would produce beautiful color and a little more PAR than two Current Sat+ would be to get one Fluval Aqualife and Plant LED with one Current Satellite LED+.

You'll get the added benefit of dedicated diodes in the 460nm and 640nm, among other bandwidths in the Fluval. Then you'll have the customized color output and modes from the Current Sat+. Both fixtures are black so they'll look nice next to eachother.

Edit: check out that awesome red spike on the spectral graph of the Fluval light...
https://uk.hagen.com/New-Fluval-Sea-LED-Lighting

Last edited:
Another good option that would produce beautiful color and a little more PAR than two Current Sat+ would be to get one Fluval Aqualife and Plant LED with one Current Satellite LED+.

You'll get the added benefit of dedicated diodes in the 460nm and 640nm, among other bandwidths in the Fluval. Then you'll have the customized color output and modes from the Current Sat+. Both fixtures are black so they'll look nice next to eachother.

Edit: check out that awesome red spike on the spectral graph of the Fluval light...
https://uk.hagen.com/New-Fluval-Sea-LED-Lighting

At 300 + shipping the fluval is a little out of my price range. I think ill get 1 satellite plus and see how bright it is. If its not very bright and I don't feel that 2 will do the trick ill get a finnex ray 2 to go with it. If my plants do well under the current satellite ill add another one to the inventory. I think that would be the safest way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom