replacement PC lightbulb question for a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter905

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was looking at the Dr.Fosters website and found some powercompact lights on sale(sunpaq brand).

65w bulb for $21.00, I'm assuming that's a pretty good deal. The fixture I have(Customsealife Smartlite), had two 65W but both had burned out and the unit has been in my garage for about a year.

My question is for my planted tank that I just setup. I can get the bulbs at 6700K, or I can get the bulbs at a dual 6700K/ 10000K.

Which bulb would be better for the plant growth? They are both the same price so I just want to get the proper bulb. Thanks for your input. :)

If the PC bulbs are arranged in a 4 pin flat line (not 4 pin square) you can order them at ahsupply.com they are 55 watt bulbs, but being put in a 65 watt fixture wouldn't hurt since its only 10 more watts. They have bulbs in 5000, 5500, 6700, and 10k for 18.99 each + shipping. I'd say for plants its just a matter of opinion. Most recommend a 6700 bulb, but even a 5500 and a 6700 from there would be ideal.
HTH
-Stewie

If the PC bulbs are 4 pin flat then you might want to consider these bulbs
http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/PROD/Aquarium/F55BX-AR-FS
I've used the 6700K and the 9325K bulbs above and like the color the 9325K bulbs give. The color is a bit pink at first but after a few weeks of use it gets nice. And the my plants grew better with the 9325 than the 6700. Also the price is good.

Back
Top Bottom