Restoration of an Attention Deprived Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I still am unsure what kind of snails I have appearing in my tank (see last post). But I did notice some leaves starting to appear on my orchid Lilly bulbs! Hopefully it will grow like it once did...

They look like ramshorn snails to me. My understanding is that nerite eggs don't priduce young in freshwater environments.

CrimsonBlayde said:
They look like ramshorn snails to me. My understanding is that nerite eggs don't priduce young in freshwater environments.

I have also heard that they don't reproduce. I was just confused were they came from, I haven't bout new plants for the tank in over 1 year and I have not noticed them before. So are ramshorn a good thing? Are there any benefits/down falls to having them?

All of my tanks have them. They came with my plants. I didn't actually see any for quite a while. The young ones are quite tiny. Often plants will be snail free but have eggs on them.

They work on any algae and do not seem to damage the plants. They are an excellent indicator of overfeeding. If you get carried away with the amount of food you put in the tank, their population will explode. Cut back on the food and the population dies back.

If you want to keep their numbers in check, you can put kale or zucchini in your tank overnight. When you pull out the veggie, you should find some snails on it. You can also just pluck out any you see while doing a water change.

You will find some people insist they are pests. Others actually buy them for their tanks. I panicked when I first found them. Now, they are just a part of the scenery. I really don't mind them at all. YMMV

Thank you for the first hand experience! ^^ I don't mind the snails and if they eat algae then that is a bonus! Also I think i tend to over feed... the fish just look so hungry ;) maybe this will help limit my feeding.

I have those same snails, I at first thought they might be rams horn snails but from what I have read I don't think they are. They stay really small. I will tell you this thou they do eat some algae they leaves trails threw it on my rocks. They don't really bother me and since I've been watching them for about 2 months now. They don't seem to get much bigger then 2mm or so.

First just remind yourself how lucky you are to have such beautiful tanks to play with! I would LOVE to have a 90 gallon but I am maxed out space wise with a 55. Like it has been mentioned I feel just starting with a background on the 90 gallon would change its entire look. Maybe you could move over some of the plants you enjoy from the 7.9 to the 90 to fill more space and would open up space in the 7.9. I feel the 90 is lacking a centerpiece ie. Driftwood or rock display something with impact. Aside from that you seem to have all the components to create something already on hand. Get those juices flowing!!!!!

Sometime today I am going to go buy a background for the tank. What would you guys suggest? I know for sure that I have seen solid black, solid blue, and some other landscape kinds...

I also have those snails and although I don't mind a few they reproduced like crazy. I bought some assassin snails and they help keep the numbers in check. My nerites are too big for the assassins to eat but they gobble up the little fellas.

After 3 long ours of trimming/pruning I have make my tanks somewhat presentable. I would like some ideas as to plants to add to my 90 gallon, I really want something on the left side behind the Java ferns. As far as my 7.9 gallon goes I am going to buy some more dwarf baby tears. Anyways here are some pictures...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120414_131143.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120414_131143.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 92
  • ForumRunner_20120414_131150.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120414_131150.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 81
I have decided that i would like some ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'cuba' would that grow well? And i would like Tonina sp. 'Belem' but I needs soft water and i have relatively hard water :(

I went to the fish store and i bout a clump of cabomba caroliniana, and a sheet of dwarf baby tears. The cabomba isn't very tall (yet) so it doesn't look that great but I think it will (if it grows). I did some research on how to plant stemed plants that don't have roots yet and I read that you are supposed to strip off the bottom leaves and cut the stem a little, is that correct?

I see your CO2 rig there off to the side of that picture. Would you mind sharing your setup with me?

I went with one of those backgrounds that goes on like window tint. I really like it. I went with a planted scape because i thought once evrything grew in it would just blend but I think black would have been a better option.

I went to the fish store and i bout a clump of cabomba caroliniana, and a sheet of dwarf baby tears. The cabomba isn't very tall (yet) so it doesn't look that great but I think it will (if it grows). I did some research on how to plant stemed plants that don't have roots yet and I read that you are supposed to strip off the bottom leaves and cut the stem a little, is that correct?

That's what I do, trim off bottom leaves, fresh clean cut on the bottom, plant it :)

Coursair said:
That's what I do, trim off bottom leaves, fresh clean cut on the bottom, plant it :)

Thank you for your input. I have never purchased stem plants before, what is the likelihood of them growing roots and surviving?
Also after reading the "rotala wallichii care" thread I have become very interesting in some plants that are different colors (other than green). The only real major concern I have about growing wallichii is I have relatively hard water. Would I be able to pull off a wallichii or possibly even a Ludwigia Cuba? I have some spare lights that I can add to the tank if that is necessary. Thanks for the input :)

I think the likelyhood of them growing roots is HIGH as long as their other needs are met. I trim and replant the tops of my Stem plants all the time :) As far as your other choices thriving in your tank ? No idea. I'd say give it a shot. I had someone try to tell me that Myriophyllium mattagrossense would NOT live in my low tech low light tank. It grew like a weed once it got established. All you can do is try them and monitor and see if they adapt.

I will add I try to be realistic. I love Erios, but they need High Light and lots of C02 so I don't want to kill plants so I do avoid these. But other stuff I give it a shot.

I am going to take your advice and just try them. What are some good online places to buy plants? I have ordered from azgardens.com before and they seemed good, but I want all the input I can get :D

fishfanatic said:
I am going to take your advice and just try them. What are some good online places to buy plants? I have ordered from azgardens.com before and they seemed good, but I want all the input I can get :D

I buy from hobbyists. This site, The Planted Tank and Aquatic Plant Central. You need to join to see the sales threads, but typically much cheaper. And the sellers try to answer your questions.

Back
Top Bottom