Safe plants for shrimp tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jill

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was shocked to read somewhere that crypts are dangerous to shrimp....something about trimming them releasing toxic stuff??? :huh:

Is this true and are there other plants I shouldn't put into a shrimp tank? I have fire red rcs on their way to me, and I'm setting up another tank for OEBTs.

:thanks:

I havent heard that. I have 2 different crypts with my shrimp and they are ok. Ive never trimmed them but leaves have died and dissolved.

i've never heard about crypts giving off any toxic chemicals before o-o do you happen to remember the source? since there are a lot of rumors that tend to be false

Its a myth. I have lots of Crypts in my Shrimp tanks.
C wendtii ( bronze, green, mi Oya )
C lucens
C retrospiralis
C balansae
C nurii Pahang mutated
C parva
C pontederiifolia

I trim off dead or dying leaves. There is the same rumor about Anubias I think.

Its a myth. I have lots of Crypts in my Shrimp tanks.
C wendtii ( bronze, green, mi Oya )
C lucens
C retrospiralis
C balansae
C nurii Pahang mutated
C parva
C pontederiifolia

I trim off dead or dying leaves. There is the same rumor about Anubias I think.

So glad to hear it's a myth. I have crypt wendtii in all of my tanks...it's the one plant that truly loves my water. :)

I found this article....apparently, this is the article that started the confusion.
Oxalic Acid

At least now enough people have experience to debunk what needs debunking. Thanks again. :)

Jill said:
So glad to hear it's a myth. I have crypt wendtii in all of my tanks...it's the one plant that truly loves my water. :)

I found this article....apparently, this is the article that started the confusion.
Oxalic Acid

At least now enough people have experience to debunk what needs debunking. Thanks again. :)

Well I don't go around hacking on healthy Crypts so it hasn't been an issue.
Any Shrimp deaths have been one at a time, no mass die offs.
I have had up to 100+ RCS and 10 CRS in my main Shrimp tank.

Back
Top Bottom