Seachem Excel verses API co2 booster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foster53

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there any difference betweem Seachem Excel, and API co2 booster? I am having an issue with Staghorn algae, and have been using co2 booster. I have heard that excel will actually help eliminate Staghorn. I have reduced the light by half, cut down the photoperiod to 7 hrs per day and have been double dosing API co2 booster. Just wondering if excel would work better! Any other suggestions to help rid the tank of this curse are very welcome!!

I suspected they were, as they are both carbon boosters. I thought maybe excel had an additional ingredient that helped control the algae. I'll just keep up with the changes for a few weeks, and see what happens. Thank you for the info.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/api-co2-booster-v-flourish-excel-183712.html (says they are the same thing but with potentially different concentrations of the active ingredient).

I have been using API co2 booster for about 3 weeks due to some BBA and it cleared that up very quickly applying directly, just using the recommended dose. Some of my plants have started growing noticeably faster as well so I am planning to continue dosing though the tank. I do have some plants showing signs of potassium deficiency which seems to have started as a result of dosing co2 booster so I'm planning to pick up something to supplement that tomorrow.

Staghorn likes to develop where there's little flow/current (dead spots). You should try increasing the flow or add a small powerhead (depending in your tank and setup).

To get rid of my staghorn, i stopped my filter, spot treated with Excel (let the solution linger over the staghorn area for 10 minutes), increased the flow rate and plugged my filter back in. It took about two treatments and it's been gone for several months now.

I use the Metracide 14 and mix it with RO water to get 2-1/2 gallons of Glutaraldehyde for a few cents over $27.00. That is way cheaper than buying Excel or API CO2 Booster.

Staghorn likes to develop where there's little flow/current (dead spots). You should try increasing the flow or add a small powerhead (depending in your tank and setup).

To get rid of my staghorn, i stopped my filter, spot treated with Excel (let the solution linger over the staghorn area for 10 minutes), increased the flow rate and plugged my filter back in. It took about two treatments and it's been gone for several months now.[/QUOTE
Is it possible to just drain the aquarium to a level below the plants, and spray the plants while still in the tank? I would hate to think I have to take the plants out to treat them. The ones anchored to driftwood, and decos wouldn't be a problem, but the stem plants would be a pain. Also has anyone used peroxide to kill off the algae?

I use the Metracide 14 and mix it with RO water to get 2-1/2 gallons of Glutaraldehyde for a few cents over $27.00. That is way cheaper than buying Excel or API CO2 Booster.

Where can this be purchased? Would a drug store carry it?

Get it online or a medical supply store. I've used cidex 28 day, iirc the 28 day formulas are more potent so need more dilution than the 14day
Would you happen to have a site where I can get it? Also this can be used on a regular basis like Excel is to boost carbon correct?

Would you happen to have a site where I can get it? Also this can be used on a regular basis like Excel is to boost carbon correct?
It's the same thing. Just check on google/amazon, thats what I did, found the best price and went with it. I don't recall the specific supplier, one bottle lasts a long time if you do it this way, lol.

Just remember that these containers come with a little packet or bottle attached to them, it is an 'activator' chemical and should be thrown out immediately.

It's the same thing. Just check on google/amazon, thats what I did, found the best price and went with it. I don't recall the specific supplier, one bottle lasts a long time if you do it this way, lol.

Just remember that these containers come with a little packet or bottle attached to them, it is an 'activator' chemical and should be thrown out immediately.
OK now i'm a little confused. Some are 14 day solutions, some are 28 day. What's the difference? Also some say activated. I know absolutely nothing about this product, and don't want to buy/use the wrong stuff, and whack my fish.LOL HELP!!!

Where can this be purchased? Would a drug store carry it?

Glutaraldehyde is a liquid carbon and works the same as Excel, even smells identical to it. You can use 1ml per 20g for a low dose daily or 1ml per 10g for a normal daily dose. I used to use Excel but when I got the info on mixing Glut and RO to get an equalivant dose to Excel I haven't looked back. Glut is 2.6x stronger than Excel so I get this...
Glutaraldehyde Cold Sterilization Solution 14 day 1 Gallon: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific and mix this one gallon of Glut to 1-1/2 gallons of RO water to get 2-1/2 gallons of Glut for $28 dollars. Look up how much Excel would be for 2-1/2 gallons. Also these products, Excel, API CO2 Booster, and Glut all breakdown in the aquarium in the range of 11 to 24 hours. That is why you use it daily. Be sure to keep the mixed solution in light blocking containers as light will break down the Glut and render it useless.

We were always told to wear gloves when we worked with the concentrated stuff in labs because repeated exposure apparently sensitizes you to future reactions to it. It's an acquired sensitivity.

But then again we were always told to wear gloves.

I've always used Excel in the past, but recently I purchased 1 quart of Metricide Glutaraldehyde 14 day for about $15 shipped. I know I know, I probably should have purchased the gallon size to save even more money. But if my calculations are correct, by diluting the Glut with DI water, I will have approx. 2.5 quarts of Excel strength solution, which is about 2,366 mL. I used to buy Excel by the 500mL bottles... at ~$12 a bottle, that's ~$55 (4x500mL + 1x250mL). If all goes well with this stuff, even the quart sized Glut can save me about $40!

I actually just received the Glut in the mail today. I've been researching around on the web and came across two interesting threads on it.... What I gather is this stuff, as with Excel, is toxic and you need to take extra care not to get it on your skin, eyes, and obviously swallow it... pretty common sense stuff when handling hazardous chemicals. Just treat it like Bleach and be safe! And try not to inhale the fumes :)

Overstocked (user on TPT) has some good info on it...
Will excel provide enough CO2?

Metricide 14 to replace the Excel dosing

Glutaraldehyde is a liquid carbon and works the same as Excel, even smells identical to it. You can use 1ml per 20g for a low dose daily or 1ml per 10g for a normal daily dose. I used to use Excel but when I got the info on mixing Glut and RO to get an equalivant dose to Excel I haven't looked back. Glut is 2.6x stronger than Excel so I get this...
Glutaraldehyde Cold Sterilization Solution 14 day 1 Gallon: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific and mix this one gallon of Glut to 1-1/2 gallons of RO water to get 2-1/2 gallons of Glut for $28 dollars. Look up how much Excel would be for 2-1/2 gallons. Also these products, Excel, API CO2 Booster, and Glut all breakdown in the aquarium in the range of 11 to 24 hours. That is why you use it daily. Be sure to keep the mixed solution in light blocking containers as light will break down the Glut and render it useless.
Thank you for the info. I will be ordering it tonight!! I am all about saving money.LOL

Back
Top Bottom