Sera Iron Test Kit vs. Flourish Iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishmutt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm cycling my first tank (100g FW) and have everything but fish in there. I bought a 3 pack of Flourish, Flourish Excel and Flourish Iron to fert my plants. Flourish Iron says to dose once a week to maintain a healthy .1 mg/l concentration. I also bought a Sera Iron test kit to make sure I don't overdose the iron, but directions say a healthy concentration of iron is between .5 -1.0 mg/l. That's 5x to 10x what flourish says is healthy. I'm a noob, but I know too much Fe will kill fish.

Who do I trust? :confused:

Just did a test and I'm somewhere between .1-.25 mg/l. I held off dosing and will test again next week.

Plants are pretty healthy, maybe 1 or 2 yellow leaves here and there, but mostly nice and green.

:thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 117
0.5-1.0 is a bit high for my liking. I like to dose my high light tanks up to about 0.5 max. So long as you aren't bottoming out on Fe you are good to go.

Thanks Fort. Sounds like it's best to keep a tank in the 0.1 to 0.5 range.

:thanks:

I test it with a titration test. I only test it every few months though anymore.

Don't underestimate my proclivity for being a nerd. Especially when it comes to limnology.

Back
Top Bottom