Should I try Dwarf Hairgrass again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello! In an attempt to make further contrast in my tank, I was wondering if I should try Dwarf Hairgrass again. My first attempt failed. I had a lot of the little plants become uprooted by my pesky Corydoras. My substrate includes a mixture of Flourite and Eco-Complete. I dose PPS-Pro and Excel daily, plus my lighting is T5 HO (medium lighting I believe for this tank given the dimensions-36" by 12" by 16"). So what do you think? Give it another go? I think it would complement my Staurogyne repens well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Dwarf hair grass needs a fairly high light level. I'd probably skip it as it's fairly difficult to get to grow. However, I think micro chain swords would work nicely in its place. They have a bit thicker blade but grow nicely.

Dwarf hair grass needs a fairly high light level. I'd probably skip it as it's fairly difficult to get to grow. However, I think micro chain swords would work nicely in its place. They have a bit thicker blade but grow nicely.

I was thinking about trying that plant until the D. Hairgrass idea popped up. If I could get it the grow like this http://youtu.be/bT25O2hqa80, I'll be happy.

By the way, do you know anything about Ludwigia palustris? I can't seem to find it for sale online.

If I can grow dhg in my low tech no co2 or excel than anyone can.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was thinking about trying that plant until the D. Hairgrass idea popped up. If I could get it the grow like this Echinodorus Tenellus - YouTube, I'll be happy.

You can likely get it to grow like in that video, but keep in mind his tank is high light and has pressurized CO2 injected into the tank.

By the way, do you know anything about Ludwigia palustris? I can't seem to find it for sale online.

Medium light although higher light is better. Also needs good fertilization. Some plant species are just really hard to find.

Some people very rarely get it to grow in lower powered tanks. From my experience in medium light early on in my tank it grew until about 2 months in then it completely stopped as if it used all of its reserved energy trying to grow to reach better areas. After the 2 month mark it just stopped growing at all.

How much PAR do you have? Do you use root tabs plus liquid ferts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom