Sorry, another lighting question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 72g bowfront and the light fixture I am looking at is the wavepoint 48" and it is a 4 x 54w running 12k. I know it's a little blue for freshwater but the price is right @ $240. There are no fans as they are saying the solid body acts as the heat sink but there are no fins on it. Is this fixture too much for my tank? I was thinking 10k as the tank is a little over 23" deep. Sorry so long.

I have a 72g bowfront and the light fixture I am looking at is the wavepoint 48" and it is a 4 x 54w running 12k. I know it's a little blue for freshwater but the price is right @ $240. There are no fans as they are saying the solid body acts as the heat sink but there are no fins on it. Is this fixture too much for my tank? I was thinking 10k as the tank is a little over 23" deep. Sorry so long.

Are you planning on planting with that light?

With 4 bulbs you have plenty of options for picking the correct amount of bulbs for plants depending on the types of plants you want to keep.
Maybe
2 x 6700k,
1 x 8,000 to 10,000k and
1 actinic ?
I would think you could come up with any combo for low to high light plants.

j2112j said:
With 4 bulbs you have plenty of options for picking the correct amount of bulbs for plants depending on the types of plants you want to keep.
Maybe
2 x 6700k,
1 x 8,000 to 10,000k and
1 actinic ?
I would think you could come up with any combo for low to high light plants.

Guess I didn't think of combing lamps. Is the above mentioned fixture too much? Would it be a good all around fixture? I'm a novice with lighting.

You're gonna be at 3wpg which from what I've heard is on the high side. Fort or rookie could tell you for sure, but I think you may be looking at ferts and co2. I'm sure they'll have comments to contribute. As for the K value, I'd recommend staying between 6700k and 10kK. You could do 2x6700K (or 10kK) and 2 Actinic and maybe stay within range of low to med plants.

Here's my goto website for plants PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource

Happy planting :D.

Might as well try those bulbs and see how they do. Depending on the spectrums, they may be just fine.

I'd only run 2x without co2 injection though.

I don't think it would be too much for a 75G if you choose the proper spectrum bulbs.
I'm sure some more experienced AA members can tell you exactly what bulbs to choose, depending on what types of plants you want, and if you want to get into co2 and nutrient supplements.

I am going to run CO2, Milwaukee regulator and other equipment should be in next week. REALLY excited.

j2112j said:
I don't think it would be too much for a 75G if you choose the proper spectrum bulbs.
I'm sure some more experienced AA members can tell you exactly what bulbs to choose, depending on what types of plants you want, and if you want to get into co2 and nutrient supplements.

This forum is a great source with all of the experience.

You can get a cheaper fixture than that, I wouldn't bother with a 4 bulb one unless you are planning to go really high tech. There are some very high quality fixtures from catalina and fishneedit that will do the job and be cheaper. Unless you just happen to really like wavepoint.

Catalina has a nice 3x54w on sale right now
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1638

jetajockey said:
You can get a cheaper fixture than that, I wouldn't bother with a 4 bulb one unless you are planning to go really high tech. There are some very high quality fixtures from catalina and fishneedit that will do the job and be cheaper. Unless you just happen to really like wavepoint.

Catalina has a nice 3x54w on sale right now
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1638

Not set on wavepoint, I'm too novice to be picky. I really appreciate the advice.

Not sure how I didn't see the first post.... It's been a long week. I agree with jetajockey, too expensive. A 4x54w T5HO from fishnedit.com is only $164 I believe, and they are very good units.

Yup another good fixture. Ah supply also makes some nice pc fixtures, although I prefer t5ho.

The reflectors on the fishneedit and catalina fixtures are fantastic and they provide a ton of light. They also have multiple switches so you can control how much light you use. I think you'd be fine with 2 bulbs but if you wanted to kick it up at any point itd just take the flick of a switch.

Yup another good fixture. Ah supply also makes some nice pc fixtures, although I prefer t5ho.

The reflectors on the fishneedit and catalina fixtures are fantastic and they provide a ton of light. They also have multiple switches so you can control how much light you use. I think you'd be fine with 2 bulbs but if you wanted to kick it up at any point itd just take the flick of a switch.

I've done 2 of ah supplies CPF kits, didn't know the did finished fixture too. Agreed, Fishneedit has some nice fixtures and good prices, gonna get a 24" double from them soon.

Thank you all for the advice, it really helped a lot. I think I might go with the four bulb and if need be I can always take a bulb out. It's the wattage I'm concerned about.

Should I be concerned about the wattage or PAR? Sorry for appearing so unsure, I just don't want to have to spend the money and then have to order another fixture.

PAR is the important thing, however the PAR, which is generally measured at the substrate level, varies from tank to tank. You'd need a PAR meter to get some numbers on your particular setup.

The fixtures you've been looking at, with nice parabolic reflectors in 3 or 4 bulb setups are way more then enough for even an ultra high tech freshwater planted tank.

Just keep in mind that the more light you add, the harder it is to balance things out, and the harder it is to keep control over algae.

here's an article on the subject http://aquariumdigest.wordpress.com/2010/10/05/photosynthesis-and-par/

Back
Top Bottom