sorry... another lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
In another form some folks suggested I do this.... get rid of my marineland reef led and replace it with a duel T5HO. My current light set up is the marineland reef led and a glo fixture (2 T5HO bulbs) I want my tank to be in the upper end of medium. What do you think?
It is a 40 gallon high.

Last edited:
You are running 78W of T5HO AND a reef LED on a 40g? I would call that high light.

Yes on a 40 gallon. Another person told me it was low light or just bairly medium. It is good to hear you think it is high light. What light rating would it be if I just had the reef leds?

I don't know, it depends on the specs of the LEDs. But 2WPG of T5HO plus a light that is reef capable is definitely not low light or barely medium.

There are 36 1watt 10000k and 6 blue leds. Over a space of 36 inches

I would call just the LED probably low light to medium low. With both fixtures, it is high light.

I don't mean to second guess you but isn't the wpg rule a bad way to meashure light?

Ok. I knew it does not work on small tanks, and I was not sure if I had a 'small tank' thanks for all the help!

The second picture is of my dawarf baby tears when I first got it. The first picture is what it looks like now. That is about a month of growth. Is that a fast growth for it?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110520_180732.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110520_180732.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 100
  • ForumRunner_20110520_180801.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110520_180801.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 109
I would call that normal considering it is in a pot planted in plain gravel.

fort384 said:
I would call that normal considering it is in a pot planted in plain gravel.

Should I take it out of the pot? Do I remove the yellow'ish stuff around the roots? I am thinking about sucking it up and buying some specialty substrate, what kind should I get?

Last edited:
You'll get a lot more growth in a planted substrate. The kind you use is up to you. If you don't want to do a substrate swap you could just pull it apart and put it into more pots with some soil.

I think I will keep it the same for a little while. Then I will have a chance to save up for some good substrate. I was thinking ether eco-complete or fluorite? I don't want to necessarily buy the cheapest, I want it to be a very good investment for my tank. Is there a substrate that is just overall better than the rest?

Would putting organic miracal-gro under PFS be considered soil?

Back
Top Bottom