Staghorn algae in overstocked 29gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

el_jeffe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I'm new to aquariums and I've gotten myself into a jam. I have a 29 gal planted tank with canister filter, c02, and a small UV sterilizer. Not sure what other details to give so I apologize in advance.

I unknowingly purchased a pregnant platy and then she proceeded to have a 2nd batch so I've got around 20 of them now around 1-2 months old and still quite small. Had a big ammonia spike(off the charts) so I bought the API nitra-zorb and that brought ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite down to 0 and has kept it there consistently. I've since had a bloom of staghorn algae on the decor and some of the gravel but luckily it's left most of the plants alone. The plants are looking green and healthy and are growing rapidly but so is the algae. I have a plec that is spoiled and will only eat algae tabs and the 3 amano shrimp don't touch the stuff. Is there anything I can do to stop it?

I do 12 hours of light a day and 10-15% water changes weekly. I'm doing the fluval c02 canister at 1 bubble every 2-4 seconds.

I do 12 hours of light a day and 10-15% water changes weekly. I'm doing the fluval c02 canister at 1 bubble every 2-4 seconds.

That's your problem right there, lighting periods too long, cut it back to 8 hours and you need to do 50% water changes weekly

Yeah, I would cut back the lights as suggested. You can also spot treat the staghorn with hydrogen peroxide: turn the filters off and use a needleless hypo to squirt two ml on a patch. Wait 15 minutes and then turn the filters back on. You won't hurt the plants or fish.

Thanks everyone! Regarding the water changes one of the reasons I'm changing so little is that with the Texas heat the coldest water from my tap is warmer than the tank. The tank is at 78 and the water that comes out is in the 80s. I guess I could keep some water in the fridge to mix in but I'm still afraid of a big temperature swing.

Freeze a couple of bottle to float during water changes

Back
Top Bottom