Summmmppppp. Maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all! Back with more possibilities! I bought a 15 gallon bowfront to replace my 10 gallon that srung a slow leak. I am able to drill this tank because its not tempered. Should i patch the old 10 gal and use it as a sump? I want to drill the bottom and put the bulkhead there. Is this worth doing? Or will it just be a fun expensive waster of time. I mean.... my 75 gal runs withought a sump wonderfully. Water changes monthly and it seems overstocked almost.

Thanks,
Ryan

***Just realized this is prob not the right threads mod can you move me to the correct thread?***

Im personally not a fan of sumps on fresh water. Unless they are huge, theres really not much benefit to using them.

I would keep the 10 as a hospital tank.

I wouldn't turn it into a sump unless your looking to add water volume to the tank or hide all of your filter stuff and heater. If that's the case I would just put it under the tank and move your existing filter and heater in there and just leave it instead of turning it into a sump. That's the main reason people use them in saltwater nobody wants a 2 foot tall protein skimmer in there dt

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah the only reason i would is to hide my heater and filter. I will have 5 neons 3 furcata rainbows and 5 celestial danios. So water volume shouldnt be a problem. I already have a hospital tank and 2 empty 10 gallons. Maybe i will sulicone the 2 together and make a 20 gal sump for my 75 gallon? Which has a lot of unsightly plant loss due to heavy filtration (one fluval 306 and a fluval aquaclear 70). Or just sell em.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah the only reason i would is to hide my heater and filter. I will have 5 neons 3 furcata rainbows and 5 celestial danios. So water volume shouldnt be a problem. I already have a hospital tank and 2 empty 10 gallons. Maybe i will sulicone the 2 together and make a 20 gal sump for my 75 gallon? Which has a lot of unsightly plant loss due to heavy filtration (one fluval 306 and a fluval aquaclear 70). Or just sell em.

Heavy filtration isnt gonna kill plants. I have an aquaclean 70 and a canister rated for 150g on my 40 gallon tank.

If you have extra tanks why not disassemble a few and make a small column tank?

Heavy filtration isnt gonna kill plants. I have an aquaclean 70 and a canister rated for 150g on my 40 gallon tank.

If you have extra tanks why not disassemble a few and make a small column tank?

I have that much on my 30 gal haha.. plants don't mind unless they can't stand up:p go home ludwiga.. you're drunk...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah.... the plants clog up the intake is all. Column tank is a good idea.

I use a diy sump for my planted 75g. I don't have issues with plants clogging. At least not for a year. The main reason for mento use a sump was so that the tank will always have the same water level. The sump is where I lose water to evaporation. Since my tank is an in wall setup, the I don't have to worry about seeing that the water level is too low. I go back into the room where the tank set up is regularly for feeding and water changes so I can see when the sump needs water.

I also like having the heater, and filter out of the main tank as well.

For my sump, I'm just using a 27g heavy duty plastic tote and some plastic drawers that you can get at target or Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I love having a sump, but in my opinion it seems like wasted time/effort on something as small as a 15g.
If I ever get a 40b I will make a sump for it, but that is the smallest size I would use a sump with, personally

Back
Top Bottom