Sunlight Wattage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there a way to measure the wattage coming from sunlight inot a room? My room that houses my fish tank doesn't get direct sunlight, but it's quite bright throughout the whole day. Does anyone have any ideas how I can measure this easily?

Apogee makes a nice PAr light meter that easily measures what you want, they are about 300$, but water proof etc and can read both electric and sun light sources specifically relevant to plants.

Note: sunlight varies throughout the day period, so one single reading is not going to tell that much. Electric light is far more stable.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Hmmm, okay I'll look into these items. Light varies throughout the day, but the room is pretty bright from sun up to sun down. It's just a nice area on the house without anything blocking light, not even trees. I have less than 1 WPG on the tank currently and just a handful of plants that are doing well. I didn't want to push my luck without seeing how much light I really have available to me via the sun.

Thanks, guys.

If you're planning on using a sunny room, you might want to look into Diana Walstad's Natural Aquarium methods.

Purrbox said:
If you're planning on using a sunny room, you might want to look into Diana Walstad's Natural Aquarium methods.

I see she has a book. Are these methods contained in her book?

That's what her book is about. There's also a lot of information available online. Some forums like APC have an entire subforum devoted to the topic.

Back
Top Bottom