Switching from gravel to ECO Complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've read probably 100 different things on how to switch substrate in an established tank. I definitely want to leave some of the gravel in at least a portion of the tank.

I want to switch over to ECO Complete Black Aquarium Substrate. I've also read 100 different things on the types of substrates and it looks like I can't go back with either ECO Complete or really any of them.

I don't want to do a 'aquascape' so-to-speak but I want a more natural feel for my fish. I have a 15g with 2 guppy's, 2 Black Neon Tetras, 2 Glo-Lites, 1 Electric Blue Ram, 2 loaches (getting more of these bad boys), and some Ghost Shrimp (who do work on their small area of the tank).

I've ready leaving them in while you change it, is best. I've heard taking them out. I think I want to leave them in since I'm only doing about 2/3 of the tank. I do feel like getting caught by a net and placed in a bucket for about 30-45 minutes, isn't my idea of fun so I don't want to do it to my fish.

Can anybody guide me to a youtube guy or give their input on what I've wrote? I'm looking to do it around Friday when I do my scheduled water changes.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Never mind guys and girls.

I went ahead and replaced it with half Caribsea Floramax and the other half gravel. The tetras and ram love the planted side (obviously). The water isn't as cloudy as I thought it was going to be either. So far so good!

If anybody has any inputs please let me know. This was my first substrate swap since I'm new to the hobby but I think I did it all the right way.

in a 20 gallon when i switched from gravel to Eco Complete, I just used a wet/dry vac to remove the gravel and all the crap in it.
I didn't cloud up the water hardly at all, and i didn't vacuum as much water out with the gravel as I thought I would have.
Severe reduction to snail population as well.

I like that about EcoComplete (regarding cloudiness, or lack thereof).
What kind of snails? Malaysian trumpet?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

i Love Eco Complete i switched to it like Ages i still have it in my tank holds all the vitamins a plant needs to grow my MTS love going way deep in it to eat all the sources of idk what is in there and come back up when i throw down fish flakes tho my Assassins snails might end up feasting on them when they do come up

but i have to say set aside the cloud bomb that occurs when first setting up Eco Complete its awesome i did 4 bags on a 48Gal cube takes a few hours for the cloud bomb to go away...

Back
Top Bottom