Sword not doing so well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I guess my methods have finally caught up with me. The beautiful sword I recieved from ringfinger is not doing so well. Here is the info:

~Plant(s) affected? Amazon Sword
~Tank size/volume? 75 gal
~Lighting/wpg? 1.46
~Do you inject CO2? If so do you know the level? No CO2
~What do pH, KH, PO4, NH3 and/or NO3 test kits say? ph =6.8, kh = 3dkh, PO4 = .5, NH3 = 0 and NO3 = 10ppm.
~Dosing? What/how much/how often? Flourish root tabs, NO3 only when needed.
~Heavily, moderately, or lightly planted? Heavily, lots of large root feeders.
~Fish stock? 5 Bolivian Rams, 4 German Blue Rams, 5 bristlenose plecos, 3 corydoras julii, 2 adult angels, 6 serpae tetras, 3 lamp eye tetras, 1 sailfin pleco and +/- 30 ramshorn snails.
~Tank Location (near windows - in direct sunlight)? Rear wall
~How long has tank been set up? - 1 year.

I recently upgraded the lighting from 1.0 and added the sword afterward. Root tabs were added prior to planting. Roots are still opaque and healthy however, small to large holes have been observed and some leaves are becoming limp. Never had a problem with any other plants. See my tank and/or plants/fish clicky for pics.

Sounds like a Potassium Deficiency to me. Perhaps the increase in lighting has pushed the tank's Potassium demands beyond what's available in you tap water.

potassium, or possibly iron. go with potassium first since its a macronutrient. if you're dosing any iron at all, it should be enough.

That little lighting shouldn't be pushing and nutrient past what you are dosing. I would say its lighting. With swords though, adding more nutrients in the substrate is SUPPOSED to compensate for lower light levels (under 1.5).

I've seen people grow nice swords in 1wpg tanks. They do grow slow, but they grow...so I'm not quite ready to point the finger at the 1.5wpg just yet. Sure, that could be the problem, but the holey leaves do indicate nutrient deficiency.

Sorry to hear that J... I feel bad now.

Just so you know, I had the same problem with that plant in my tank under 3+WPG so higher lighting wouldn't neccessarily be a sure fix. It started out good in my tank, but then was showing those holes in the new leaves that were growing out of the center. I increased my pottasium up to where I was dosing ~12ppm 3 times a week which helped a lot. HTH.

ringfinger said:
Sorry to hear that J... I feel bad now.

Perish the thought ringfinger, this certainly isn't due to anything you did. I have two other swords that are doing well but growth is almost undetectable.

FWIW, my tank has been an ongoing experiment with different plants for the past year. I see nothing wrong with dosing at this point. I also have three jungle vals that are constantly growing out of the top of the tank. There is a lot of competition in there for nutrients.

Does this mean a discussion on "plants per gallon" is in order? :wink:

Love that "plants per gallon" question. I'm courous if it shouldn't be "swords per gallon".

If the holes are in the older leaves, I had a very simular problem (55g, 1.5wpg) and started dosing potassium 2 weeks ago. It made a great inprovement already. I also had some brown spots which have stopped.

Lots of new growth now also!

I too would like to know the maximum plants per gallon as well, lol.... :)

Sounds like adding potassium is going to be the best bet. :)

TwoHobbies said:
Love that "plants per gallon" question. I'm courous if it shouldn't be "swords per gallon".

You may have a point there...heavy roots and the largest leaves, there must be a connection.

LWB said:
I too would like to know the maximum plants per gallon as well, lol..

I'm sure you would, but I think you're prepared for your upcoming onslaught. :D

I just may toss that question out there, I'm known to do that type of thing.

Jchillin said:
Does this mean a discussion on "plants per gallon" is in order? :wink:

Jchillin, I'm sure you can find useful info about plant density (PPG) from your favorite professor Dr. Ivanna Phishtank. Go ask her and report back here.

One thing to consider when planting a large, previously established sword, is to check for a bulb under the roots at the base. If there is one there, it will inhibit growth. Removing the bulb, generally starts a growth spurt. The bulb can be planted and will result in at least one new plant, and possibly several.

Back
Top Bottom