Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

t5ho on t8 ballast same watts?

I have a single t8 fixture that i opened up. It uses a single ballast. This 1 in particular. I wanted to convert the fixture to use t5ho. Will I be able to run 18 watts t5ho tubes on this? (these)
The ballast was designed to run low 14-20 watt single tubes. So I was wondering would a 18 watt 18 inches t5oh tube be able to run? Or do I really need buy a new ballast?

Old 09-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

the socket connects are not the same..you would need something like this..Leviton 13654-EXS | T8 to T5 Mini Bi-Pin Socket
Old 09-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20cc View Post
the socket connects are not the same..you would need something like this..Leviton 13654-EXS | T8 to T5 Mini Bi-Pin Socket
Oh im aware of that, im more worried about the ballast...
If i was to get a new ballast, will the workhorse 2 by fulham work with 18 watts?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

if you gonna replace the ballast and the sockets ( in assuming you want to keep the fixture enclosure ) why not just get a retrofit

http://www.marineandreef.com/Hagen_G...ures_s/598.htm
Old 09-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Workhorse 3, 5, and 7 should work with T5HO. You would probably need to replace everything on a T8 setup (sockets, wiring, ballast), and the reflectors could use some love.
I would recommend getting a T5HO retrofit as well.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the advice guys. I looked over the retrofit kit, but its sort of expensive. I decided to just buy each part separately and I even found an $8 used workhorse 2! so all in all I just spent about less than 40 bucks for a t5ho single fixture. the tube was the most expensive part, which was $20.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Workhorse 2 will not properly run a T5HO, and if you don't have a decent reflector (most T8s don't even have one or have a very bad one), you're losing out on at least half of your lighting potential.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem View Post
The Workhorse 2 will not properly run a T5HO, and if you don't have a decent reflector (most T8s don't even have one or have a very bad one), you're losing out on at least half of your lighting potential.
Oh im planning to edit my reflector.
How come the workhorse 2 will not properly run a t5ho? I checked their website http://horse.fulham.com/wiring-diagram-results and that was the first setup that came up as an acceptable diagram for a single t5ho 24watt...
Old 09-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're right, I'm wrong. For some reason I didn't realize that you only wanted to run the single T5HO. What are your plans for the reflector?
Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

well i was thinking of removing the reflector that was inside the hood (the part that attaches the socket). its an aqueon deluxe full hood if you know what im talking about. but after that im not 100% sure whats the best shape reflecter... should i just use the hood and paint the inside white? or should i make a diy using plexiglass or some other material? any suggestions?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

A new reflector would run you probably $20 or so and really give you a lot more light from the single bulb than is put out than most 2x fixtures on a per-bulb basis. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with that reflector, but its probably not really very good at all unfortunately. Leaving it in is probably betting than painting it white, but you can also experiment with aluminum foil to see if you can get more out of it. A decent polishing job probably wouldn't hurt either.

Tags
ballast, t5ho, watt, watts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com