T5HO's outdated???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlk

Aquarium Advice Addict
As i have been doing LOTS of reading about lighting for fw plants, i have been encountering quite a bit of information stating T5HOs are outdated and that the aquarium world needs to catch up with the world of hydroponics in respect to lighting. I dont have the budget for fancy lighting, but i am curious if anyone uses T2 or SHO lights for their aquariums? I have read that they are comparable or better than metal halides at half the cost & are much more energy efficient. Any thoughts?

I don't think they are outdated..........they are still extremely popular and do a more than adequate job for lighting a planted aquarium. I suppose there are definitely more energy-efficient options, though.

IMHO, T2s won't replace T5s. There is only one place I have been able to find them and they were not actually made for aquarium use. Made more for under-counter use. LEDs will replace T5s when prices come down as you cannot beat their performance, very low energy usage and very low heat transfer to the water column.

The thing about higher efficiency fluorescent bulbs is that they will provide more light... which we dont really need. T5hos meet all of our light needs, at least for fw planted tanks. Stronger stuff isn't really necessary from a practical viewpoint.

LEDs will probably eventually replace T5HOs for economical reasons, but the technology isnt around (or at least easily available) for LEDs to replace t5ho in more light demanding setups. They are, imo, just beginning to edge out fluprescent bulbs on small to medium medium-light tanks.

Do hydroponics have to worry about algae like we do?

I actually have found T2's for aquarium use but not for bigger tanks. It was suggested that you link mutiple sets of T2s for bigger tanks (greater than 30gal). From what i have been reading, T2s are supposed to be superior to T5's but the aquarium lighting world doesnt have the amount of gross profits (compared to hydroponics) to make the production of T2s desirable. SHO lights evidently have to be more of DIY project but the componenets are available for purchase.

T5hos are fine with anything below 55. The bigger, deeper setups may benefit from newer technology, but there are 4 bulb fixtures available.

Thanks AquaChem for the algae perspective!!! Im not questioning whether or not T5HOs work (they do or they wouldnt be in use), im just questioning the lighting options that are presently available and whether anyone uses some of the newer technologies that exist. Thanks!

T5HO is what almost everyone on this site uses...Far from being out of date. If you look online at online retailers vast majority of their fixtures are all T5HO...

T5ho's are extremely effective and in recent years have come down significantly in price, I think that LED's will probably be the next step though since it's already out and being honed into aquarium use, eventually they'll be affordable with multiple brands and whatnot just like the t5ho's have become.

Back
Top Bottom