This might be a huge problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dstephen

Aquarium Advice Activist
While I was at work, my dad was working on something with electrical, and the power shorted and went off for a split second, turning off my filter. He new that when the filter turns off and back on, that you need to fill the filter back up with aquarium water to get it started or else it runs empty which burns it out. So he did that but I guess since he thought it still wasn't working, he took out the filter and rinsed out the intake, and the motor with tap water. Which isn't good since it's tap water, but it's not the end of the world. However he also rinsed out all the filter media!!

Someone please tell if my tank is completely unicycles now? It had lots of biomedia in it. I had it running for a year.

You probably lost a lot of beneficial bacteria but there should still be some in your tank substrate. You should keep an eye on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Have you tested for these?

You probably lost a lot of beneficial bacteria but there should still be some in your tank substrate. You should keep an eye on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Have you tested for these?

Not yet. When should ? It happened about 20 hours ago

If you have any ammonia or nitrItes, yes. Depending on your bioload you may need to do water changes every day or every other day until you get to zero ammonia and nitrites.

If you have any ammonia or nitrItes, yes. Depending on your bioload you may need to do water changes every day or every other day until you get to zero ammonia and nitrites.

I also have lots of plants so hopefully that helps.?

Another thing you can do is go and purchase Seacham Prime. And get a bunch. This is a perfect product for situations like this. It renders ammonia and nitrites harmless for 24h. So use directed amount once a day for a few weeks. This will give your biological bacteria time to regrow and help save your fish threw any ammonia spikes your tank may experience

Another thing you can do is go and purchase Seacham Prime. And get a bunch. This is a perfect product for situations like this. It renders ammonia and nitrites harmless for 24h. So use directed amount once a day for a few weeks. This will give your biological bacteria time to regrow and help save your fish threw any ammonia spikes your tank may experience

Agreed, and you can safely overdose it.

Biological filter additives are controversial with some, but I'd consider using Seachem's Stability or Dr. Tim's "One and Only" to jump start the regeneration of your biofilter. I've had good experiences with both.

Agreed, and you can safely overdose it.

Biological filter additives are controversial with some, but I'd consider using Seachem's Stability or Dr. Tim's "One and Only" to jump start the regeneration of your biofilter. I've had good experiences with both.

Just did a water change and put some stability in it. I'll keep you updated?

So far so good I think. I tested my water at petsmart and all they said was " looks good".
Do you have an Api freshwater master test kit? If not I highly recommend getting one or something similar, test strips aren't as good but would be better than relying on pet smart. My local petco is pretty good, but I would never rely on them to check my water. One of the most essential parts if fishkeeping, and one of the most important tools.

Just get a bottle of beneficial bacteria. It is caller API QuickStart and I'm sure there are tons of other kinds too but I put it in at every water change and the ammonia stays at 0

Probably not an issue since your tank in general houses plenty of bacteria at this point

I also keep a few marimo moss balls in the tank. They are great for housing those bacteria

Back
Top Bottom