Thoughts on "terrestrial" root spikes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
New to planted tanks, but I went hunting for root tabs. I found some Miracle Gro spikes rated 6-12-6, 25 for $2. Looking at the ingredients and I didn't see ammonium nitrate (that I don't want) but did see a couple ureas, and some non-water soluble nitrogen listed. I buried a couple to the bottom of my 29g's sand, then tested for ammonia an hour later before adding more. I also did some aquascaping after adding 7 or 8. While I will be watching ammonia for a week or two, what are your thoughts?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if this might be high on phosphate (12?). Only really as I finally got a test kit and got 5ppm.

I saw that but all the plant spikes I saw were even higher in both N and P, and lower in K.

How well do the nutes stay in the substrate with root spikes?

They start dissolving immediately unless they have some kind of slow release mechanism. As to how long they'll stay in the substrate and not in the water column, it depends. That'll depend on the cec of the substrate along with how well the ferts are capped with substrate.

Urea does have ammonia in it so its not a bad idea to test regularly over the next few days.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

I figured urea was practically ammonia. I have one tank with 2 inches of sand with soil under, and the other is pea gravel with soil under.

So far no ammonia. I seeded my 10g with gravel (and many crypts) earlier today after realizing these results.

Soil absorbs nutrients pretty well. If you had just sand or gravel I'd be concerned. There are better options than the terrestrial root spikes, tho. Mebbid homemade tabs are super easy to make, have a better nutrient profile, and lack the urea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I saw the Osmokote Meebid used, but I saw both Ammonium Nitrate and urea in that I was looking at. It may be a different product though. Looked like the same jar.

There are indeed several different versions of Osmocote.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Will a UG filter pull the nutes out of the gravel as I'm expecting when a root tab is used with a UG filter or will the nutes persist for root feeding plants?

I saw the Osmokote Meebid used, but I saw both Ammonium Nitrate and urea in that I was looking at. It may be a different product though. Looked like the same jar.

The ammonia in the osmocote root tabs is exactly what makes them more effective than other root tabs. There is a small risk associated with them but its generally very minor.

Will a UG filter pull the nutes out of the gravel as I'm expecting when a root tab is used with a UG filter or will the nutes persist for root feeding plants?

A undergravel filter makes root tabs useless sadly. The ferts will just be distributed into the water column.

What can I use with a UG filter with root feeders? A nute infused substrate? Water ferts? Anything?

What can I use with a UG filter with root feeders? A nute infused substrate? Water ferts? Anything?

There's nothing I can think of sadly. The good planted tank substrates don't hold enough nutrients for root feeders on their own. I would imagine heavy water column fertilization would be the only way to go.

It's really not a common combination because as the ugf was falling in popularity the planted tanks were rising in popularity.

I didn't think so.

Where's the best place to get ferts for my tank?

Has anybody used www.aquariumfertilizer.com? Green Leaf appears to be proud of some of their products. I found this site while shopping for test kits and ferts.

I stand partially corrected... Some ferts and shipping is cheaper, but $85 for a test kit? [emoji33]

I used them before and they are fine as well. Green leaf aquariums seems to be the standard for dry ferts though.

Back
Top Bottom