Time to re-aquascape, i am never happy with my layout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atl300zx

Aquarium Advice Freak
here is roughly what my tank looks like now. the star grass is dead (balas ate it) and i removed 95% of the moss from the arched driftwood as it was getting out of control. it now has a java fern on top and a lace java fern on the side.

fulltankshot.JPG

Here is my proposed new design. Please provide comments as i am new to aquascaping. I like the Natural (Amano) look more over the Dutch look.

layout.GIF

i forgot to label the small items on the right of the layout. They are dwarf sag.

Also here are some close ups of my hardscape items.

Driftwood Arch (moss removed, lace fern moved to side)
middleshot.JPG

Driftwood
driftwood1.JPG

Carved Rock
carvedrock.JPG

It is getting too cold around here to ship plants, so i am gonna hope my LFS has some HC, Ludwigia Repens, and a Crypt Wendtii Bronze.

Tank Stats:
55 G
260 watts (130 watts (6700k) for 12 hrs, 130 watts (10000k) for 10 hrs)
Pressurized CO2 (~40 ppm)
Greg Watson Dry Ferts
1/2 tsp Nitrates 3x week
1/8 tsp CSM+B 3x week
1/8 tsp Sulfates 3x week
1/8 tsp Phosphates 3x week
50% water change (supposed to be weekly, end up being 10 days, where i dont dose for last 3 days b/c i am afraid of overdosing)
pH ~ 6.1 after water changes and drops to 5.1 by end of 10 days.
i add 1 tsp of baking soda during the water changes
Never get pearling, very little false pearling after water change

The layout looks good. I'm glad you took into consideration the focal points.

Your pic up there is way too symmetrical and I see you took that into account as well.

Should be a very nice scape and I can't wait to see it.

PS. You still need to get the buffering under control. You know as well as I, that you need CO2.

so far the only algae i have been having issues with is the green spot on the glass.

Even with my buffering issues, i am able to keep the Co2 between 20-60 ppm. Within 24 hrs of a water change, i am up to 60 ppm (due to the pH raising and the pH controller kicking on) and then drops to around 20 ppm by the time i change the water.

I would perfer to get my buffering under control and use the pH controller, but if i cant figure this out within the next couple months, i am gonna dump the controller and just rely on a drop checker.

Also for the above aquascape, i plan to trim the plants to achieve a concave shape.

It has been a while since i have set up a new tank, how much extra substrate should i purchase to make the changes in topography (remember, i have a 55G tank).

Also does anyone know where to get a small amount of sand for my path? i dont need 50 lbs like they sell at the store. if any has any they could send me or i could pick up locally, that would be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom