to airstone or to not air stone, that is the question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbalaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 10 gallon tank heavily planted with a single betta, 4 cherry shrimp and some snails. Sponge filter for filtration. I added an air diffuser thinking this would be a good idea from info I have been reading. When I did it caused my PH to jump to 8.2 from 7.2 due to CO2 off gassing. Should I just ditch the idea of adding an air diffuser to the tank all together and leave well enough alone, or try something different? Or is it even needed?

Hello k...

All you need is a sponge filter. It will aerate and filter the tank water. A very small tank requires large water changes a couple of times a week to maintain good oxygen and mineral levels. I'd work up to the point you remove and replace half the water a couple of times a week.

B

Hello k...

All you need is a sponge filter. It will aerate and filter the tank water. A very small tank requires large water changes a couple of times a week to maintain good oxygen and mineral levels. I'd work up to the point you remove and replace half the water a couple of times a week.

B
thanks for the info. I do 50% wc once a week currently. I am trying to set the tank up so that I can make it do well on a 50% w/c once during a 25 day period. Reason being for this is August next year will be taking an extended vacation for about 25 days. I have someone coming to feed fish and hopefully do a water change once in the middle of when I am gone. What are your thoughts on that? or should I trust him and get him to do the weekly change for me, more than that would be too much to ask, at least in my mind.

Hello again...

A water change will remove dissolved waste material and replenish oxygen and minerals the fish and plants use. There's not enough water in a small tank to dilute the dissolved waste from even a few fish for more than a week. As for oxygen, it is removed in the presence of nitrogen which comes from fish waste and nitrogen is present in the surrounding air. Oxygen needs to be replaced weekly. Minerals are used by the fish and plants and they also need to replenished weekly. Not even a very large tank can go much more than a couple of weeks without the water being replaced. If you trust someone to feed the fish, they can certainly be schooled on how to perform a water change.

B

Hello again...

A water change will remove dissolved waste material and replenish oxygen and minerals the fish and plants use. There's not enough water in a small tank to dilute the dissolved waste from even a few fish for more than a week. As for oxygen, it is removed in the presence of nitrogen which comes from fish waste and nitrogen is present in the surrounding air. Oxygen needs to be replaced weekly. Minerals are used by the fish and plants and they also need to replenished weekly. Not even a very large tank can go much more than a couple of weeks without the water being replaced. If you trust someone to feed the fish, they can certainly be schooled on how to perform a water change.

B
fair enough. A friend of mine who has a 55 gallon tank and is very anal retentive when it comes to his own tank will surely do a weekly change for me. I mean its not like a 10 gallon is a lot of work to change water on. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom