Too much bubblization?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdw1731

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yes, I made that word up to garner interest:cool:

I am cycling my 2nd tank and everything is going well. As I've mentioned before, i'm doing live plants (low light, low maintenance). But I have a question about bubbles and oxygenation.

One of the steps in doing a fish-less cycle is the "cranking up" of an airstone or other bubble generating device (i'm presently using a AC30 Powerhead for this chore). But at the same time, wont I be providing the plants with too much oxygenation which can only be offset by the use of CO2?

Thanks for reading

Yes, I made that word up to garner interest:cool:

I am cycling my 2nd tank and everything is going well. As I've mentioned before, i'm doing live plants (low light, low maintenance). But I have a question about bubbles and oxygenation.

One of the steps in doing a fish-less cycle is the "cranking up" of an airstone or other bubble generating device (i'm presently using a AC30 Powerhead for this chore). But at the same time, wont I be providing the plants with too much oxygenation which can only be offset by the use of CO2?

Thanks for reading

If you are fishless cycling and not injecting CO2, you can only help your CO2 levels with a bubbler. If you're not injecting CO2, surface agitation is mostly a nuance.

PS, plants need oxygen too.

If you are fishless cycling and not injecting CO2, you can only help your CO2 levels with a bubbler. If you're not injecting CO2, surface agitation is mostly a nuance.

PS, plants need oxygen too.

Chemistry & biology not my strong suit in school. Say that one more time please, but in an "in other words" way. You used not both time and I think thats what is stumping me

You're not adding 100% oxygen to the tank when you have a bubbler, surface agitation caused by a filter/powerhead, etc. You're adding the same air you breath... which has co2 in it (about 7-10ppm depending on who you ask and the levels in your house). That's why if anything, you'll be helping provide more co2, though it's likely not going to do much if you have much surface agitation.

What if you do have C02 injection will the extra oxygen mess with C02 levels?

If you artificially raise CO2 levels above equilibrium levels, the increased surface agitation will cause net loss rather than net gain. The oxygen levels by themselves does not impact CO2 levels.

Back
Top Bottom