two questions with pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
My first question is about my Cryptocoryne walkeri. When I first got it the stems were pretty brown. Now they are more green and some of the leaves are getting a reddish brown color to them. Is this normal for this plant or is there something the matter with it.

My second question is about my sword. Aside from the stupid spot algae attacking it, some of the leaves are getting this thin black ( I am assuming its) algae on the edges. Any idea what that is? And should I cut the the leaves that have it?

That is an algea fringe, I had the same in my 29 gallon. Flourish Excel killed it pretty quick, so I'm assuming co2 would kill it as well. If you cure it quick enough the leaf will recover. The green spot algea is another issue though. Pleco's will eat it with enough coaxing. I'm still figuring out the right method of coercion... Other than that it's mostly harmless, just annoying to clean off glass sometimes.

I am not using the excel as much because I don't want to kill the anacharis. And I have a diy co2 thing going, but I really don't know how well its working.

If choosing between the overall health of the tank, the anacharis can go. It's just not worth trying to keep it and let the others suffer.

and the red in the crypt is natural, you could have the "red" variant.

I was starting to see the green spot and a bit of the fringe algae even when dosing excel every other day. And I like the anacharis! I don't want to take it out :?
I still need to get a kh test kit. I have been lazy about that :oops:

Back
Top Bottom