Used excel, Killed my Crypto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
So like the title says I tried slowly adding Excel to the tank over 3 weeks and today they are melted.

The question is are then gone gone, or if I stop dosing excel and do a water change they may come back in time?

How much excel? How long have they been in there? Are other plants doing well? I always dose excel with crypts and never have issues.

I use half the dose evey morning for about 2 weeks then I went to 2/3 the dose for a couple days and they melted. Everything else in the tank is doing fine just the 3 crypts I have

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been meaning to order met14 once this excel bottle is empty, maybe they will react different to that

As above - I didn’t have any trouble with mine either but can happen and they bounce back. I had Val melt initially and came back.

Ok, I’ll stick to the dosage I have now and wait to see what happens

I have heard and read both vals and crypts can melt..
I use metricide differently then most but have not had issue with either plants..

Also depends on how long you've had them???? And where you got the plants from. Some farms sell plants but will grow them submerged, makes it harder for plants to adapt to our under water tank set ups. Sometimes dosing will be overkill if plants are not adjusted yet.

Also depends on how long you've had them???? And where you got the plants from. Some farms sell plants but will grow them submerged, makes it harder for plants to adapt to our under water tank set ups. Sometimes dosing will be overkill if plants are not adjusted yet.

I got them from Petco and I have had them about 3 weeks.

I got them from Petco and I have had them about 3 weeks.

Yep it’s crypt melt, they will do that sometimes when transferred into a new environment. They are pretty sensitive to sudden change. I’d keep up the excel dosing (as long as u are dosing fertiliser aswell) and they will bounce back over the new few weeks [emoji106]

Excel also damages your fish with every use, you don't need excel it does not add co2 to the tank, co2 does not come in liquid form, it's simply an algecide, a well taking care of tank, removed mulm and healthy plants you will lower the chances of getting algae.

Back
Top Bottom