using all purpose plant food without fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_cannibal

Aquarium Advice Activist
i know using regular plant food uses ammonium nitrate usually and isn't fish compatible but what about growing out some plants in water without fish to put in a tank with fish. mainly to get some of my plants to propagate a bit faster.

i have some all purpose plant food that's 6-10-10. if its workable anyone done this or could give me an idea of what to dose. i should be getting some aquarium ferts here somewhat soon and rather than use that i thought of this.

in may i usually help my mom do her veg plant sale and was considering growing up some aquarium plants to sell as well to pad the fish tank fund. was already going to try and sell off my extra java fern.

I suspect it will take some experimentation but why not, give it a go if you have a spare tank and plants.

What kind of plant food are you using?

I make my own root tabs using gel caps from the health food store and a mix of Osmocote and Miracle Gro pelleted terrestrial plant food.

Never had a problem with my fish.

Using Terrestrial Plant Foods

i know using regular plant food uses ammonium nitrate usually and isn't fish compatible but what about growing out some plants in water without fish to put in a tank with fish. mainly to get some of my plants to propagate a bit faster.

i have some all purpose plant food that's 6-10-10. if its workable anyone done this or could give me an idea of what to dose. i should be getting some aquarium ferts here somewhat soon and rather than use that i thought of this.

in may i usually help my mom do her veg plant sale and was considering growing up some aquarium plants to sell as well to pad the fish tank fund. was already going to try and sell off my extra java fern.

Hello smooth...

Instead of the food for land plants, use the aquaponic liquid fertilizer. Earth Juice has some good products. These are all organic and can be used with or without fish in a tank. I use Earth Juice macro ferts to supplement my Seachem's Comprehensive. The fert doesn't bother the fish and my plants seem to like it.

Just a thought.

B

Back
Top Bottom