UV sterilizer suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dobber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all I have had green tinted water throughout this cycle of a new tank and was thinking about getting a UV sterilizer if it persists following the cycle. I was told this would eliminate the issue as week as any potential parasites. Any suggestions one brands? Pros? Cons? Thanks for any input.

9-11-2001 Always Remember

AmericanAquariumProducts.com has some really in depth articles about UV Sterilizers. Maybe give those a read. I don't have one, but I want one. Sounds like it does wonders for fish health as well as keep your water crystal clear.

That being said, you might also want to figure out why you have green water in the first place. Something is out of balance. Too much light maybe? Do you have plants in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah I just started plants.

Ok. Thank you!

save your money and address the reason the algae is blooming.
UV sterilizers do all the stuff claimed, but not very well in most applications sold.
They are not a sure fire preventative/cure for parasites, and really only help with bacteria and algae blooms in freshwater applications, and both of those issues are merely symptoms that point to other more fundamental issues/problems that need to be addressed.

save your money, don't bother with a UV sterilizer, and articles on sites that are selling the product should always be approached with skepticism, especially whenever the article talks about how most sterilizers on the market are junk and ineffectual, yet when you look at their product page that is the exact type they sell??!!

http://americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html
"Unfortunately many of the UV Sterilizers flooding the market for under $50 including "Hang on Back" (HOB) and many "In Tank" Submersible UVs at best can ONLY control algae and very limited bacterial blooms, these CANNOT perform the level one Sterilization needed for true disease control and aid to Redox Balance due to flow rate & design as well many utilize lower cost medium pressure UV bulbs."

http://americanaquariumproducts.com/UVSterilizers.html

but the articles are still pretty good information and worth the read. ;)

I have a cheap oddysea 18w in line UV sterilizer and it seems to do a pretty good job of keeping the green water at bay in my pond. As mentioned, you'd need a pretty hardcore setup for parasite control, and honestly I wouldn't bother unless you are intending to set up a fish farm or retail facility.

Thanks everyone for the input. :)

Back
Top Bottom