Wet's Glutaraldehyde Calculator - Dilute Glut to Excel Stength

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I finally ran out of my 500mL bottle of Excel and had a quart of Metricide 14 (Glutaraldehyde) sitting around. I know I can just dose the Metricide less to be equivalent to Excel but I'd rather keep things business as usually and pre-dilute the Metricide 14 to "Excel Strength" and put it right back in the Excel bottle to make dosing easy for me. Call it muscle memory, I dunno! LOL

Anyway, I know the math isn't rocket-science, but I found this awesome little calculator by Wet that makes it super easy to dilute Glutaraldehyde to 1.5% solution.

>>>>>>>>>>>wet's glutaraldehyde calculator

I'm going to whip up a batch of 500mL 1.5% Glut

ibcC1krKsGKSdh.jpg

I plugged in the numbers and here's what it generated:
Results

Add 288mL of 2.6% Glutaraldehyde to the 500mL container.
Use 212mL RO/DI water to fill the rest of the container
Dose it!

tips

Common dosing is 1mL/10gal of this solution daily or every other day.
Dose 5mL/10gal after water changes.
Many folks double or triple the daily dose as an algaecide.
Certain plants, such as Anacharis or Vallisneria sp., generally don't like glut.
Don't add any "Activator" or "Plus" bottle that may have come with your Glutaraldehyde source.
Glutaraldehyde is dangerous! Be careful, don't drink it, don't breathe it in, wash any skin contact, etc, etc.
This calculator has no warranty but is open source.

So just wanted to post this in case anyone is looking to do the same thing and save on some cash by using generic Excel. If you buy the gallon sized Metricide 14, you'll obviously save more by buying in bulk. But even with the quart size (946mL) that goes for about $15 shipped from Amazon, I'm still saving money considering this can be diluted to make about $40 to $50 worth of Excel. :)

Hope this helps! Big thanks to Rivercats for enlightening me to Glut in the first place!!! Happy planting / scaping everyone! (y)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom