What Snails are Best with RCS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skmackley

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i am wanting to keep some low hassle snails that will be helpful and effective and cheap, but what ones are good for live plants and will except same pH,GH,KH, as RED CHERRY SHRIMP do, will they need anything else and how about breeding?

Thanks.

I don't know exactly what you mean by hassle, i don't think any snails are really a hassle. I'm not aware of any snails that need any specialized care. But, if you mean they don't reproduce- I love my nerite and would highly recommend them. They're great algae eaters and have amazing patterns. Only negative thing about them is they sometimes lay eggs (that can't hatch in freshwater) that look like small white dots on glass or driftwood. I think almost any snails would be fine with RCS though.

Nerite snails... Hands down... they don't breed.. they don't eat plants.. they don't bother anything..... I have 5 in my 30g 3 big ones and 2 horned, and I have 9 in my 27g... I haven't had to clean the glass or big leafed plants of diatoms since I got them... they are awesome.. my 2.6g betta tank has a diatom problem and im gonna go to petsmart tomorrow and get some for that tank... I've never seen a big chain store sell nerites but mine started selling them a week ago.

Oto's don't do that great of a Job honestly... and neither do the big mystery snails... I have one in my 27g he is huge and really fun to watch... I love how he goes to the top of the tank and when hes done he jumps off and floats back to bottom... but I hate how he powers through my bushy plants and sometimes uproots them... the big mystery snails are pretty strong its amazing to see them push through stuff... but they don't clean as well as nerites..

The best nerite to get are the tiny horned ones.. The bigger ones don't clean AS good but they still do a good job... but the small horned are like vacuum cleaners... its amazing... you know what they say big things come in small packages

thank you everyone, they eat algae but not plants good! by no hassle i mean not a problem to other fish ,to shrimplets, to the tank itself and don't need like special products, i think i do want to breed my snails, i would love to have that experience as long as its not hard just a matter of when or luck or what to do with babies!

Back
Top Bottom