What's wrong with my Java Fern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought Java Fern was super hardy and robust for a low light easy plant? However, i transferred some baby Javas from my other low tech tank (where they seem to thrive) to my rescaped tank. I attached them to a Malaysian DW with fishing line (not too tight). In less then a week's time, they went from green to this in the picture. Anyone know why?

ForumRunner_20120811_173316.jpg

Just took the readings right now...

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5 ppm
pH: 6.8
Temp: 81°F

Dose with DIY co2, excel, and flourish.

Started with some API Leaf zone today to add in extra potash and iron.

On a side note, before i did the substrate change last Tuesday, i added a Java Fern months prior i got at clearance at Petsmart. Half of the leaves were black in those plastic cylinder containers they sell them in. I figured that being Java Fern, it would bounce back after pruning the black leaves away. Anyway, i planted it behind a healthy shorter bush of JF, weeks later, the black from the base of the leaves seem to spread to my healthy (older) JF bush. The clearance JF eventually deteriorated and what ever happened to it seem to spread to the old healthy one.

I figured since i practically did a 100% water change with the substrate swap, i got rid of any potential JF diseases (if they even exist). I'm guessing that it's still lurking and it's like some type of JF fungus or disease?

Unless, I'm doing something wrong?

Not quite sure what this could be. I haven't heard of any such diseases. I hear java fern loves macro nutrients esp phosphorus but that's if you want them to thrive. Not dosing ferts shouldn't lead to something like this.

So here's my tank prior to the substrate change. I think my new healthy Java Fern on my DW is suffering from the same issue that happened a month ago to my other (older) JF.

Here's the before and after... this happened in the span of weeks to a month.
img_2068876_0_1ca28530def663f2a6341f58bae6fefd.jpg

Could it be that Java Fern hates intense light, being that it's a low light plant? Aside from an algae problem, my old Java did suprisingly well with 50/50 actinics... when I switched to all FW daylight bulbs, it reduced my algae, practically eliminated it with a zebra nerite snail too.. but I did add the suspect 'clearance' JF when I switched bulbs.. I'm just trying to determine and isolate what I'm doing different now from the past. It's either new lighting (2x24w 10,000k & 6500K) or something it caught (disease/fungus) from the 'clearance' JF? LOL... driving me nuts trying to determine the cause :confused:

Back
Top Bottom