Where am I supposed to plant the java moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slroo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55g and a 10g, both with the original light hoods that came with them when purchased. I would like to try growing some java moss (is this possible with these crummy lights?) but I have absolutely no vision, and don't have a clue where it is supposed to be planted. The substrate is pool filter sand, and I have resin rocks and real driftwood in both. Is the moss supposed to look like a carpet over all, or like clumps growing out of the sand or what?

slroo said:
I have a 55g and a 10g, both with the original light hoods that came with them when purchased. I would like to try growing some java moss (is this possible with these crummy lights?)
what is the wattage and type of bulbs? T12s, T8s...
but I have absolutely no vision, and don't have a clue where it is supposed to be planted. The substrate is pool filter sand, and I have resin rocks and real driftwood in both. Is the moss supposed to look like a carpet over all, or like clumps growing out of the sand or what?
if it was me i would take some dark thread or fishing line and tie it in clumps to the driftwood, as it grows it should attach to the wood and spread from there on its own...

As for the standard lights on a 55G, it should be enough light. I had them on my 55G before I got my CF's, and the only plants you can grow is Java Moss, Java Ferns, Crypts, and Hornwort. But they will grow really slow. I had Hornwort in mine, and you had to keep it trimmed, as it would get some brown spots of not enough light. But it did grow rather well. Hornwort is actually a floating plant, but I stuck mine into an ornament to hold it down, and it grew towards the lights.

As for java moss and java ferns, you jut tie them to anything, and they will take hold. You can tie them to driftwood, rocks, ornaments, etc. It will take a few weeks for it to take hold. And with your lighting, will spread very slowly.

I stuck or tied mine onto my driftwood, here's what some of it looks like now:

P1030213.JPG

Thanks! What I'm looking for is a carpet effect. If anyone out there has ever driven through Georgia in the summer and seen the kudzu draping the trees, rocks, buildings, practically everything that doesn't move, you know what I mean. Are there any other low light plants that would work as well? Clover, maybe?

as for carpeting, u can use a piece of plastic net or something that will lie on the floor, the moss will grow over the piece and spread along it till the is no more. There is a thread somewhere around here with a link to a page about walls and ground cover and such for java moss.

Back
Top Bottom