Where does my CaCO2 go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CGGorman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Every time I test my water, the kH is low, but the gH is pretty good. Something is consuming my CaCO2. Know what it is?

Could be that your water comes out of the tap that way. My GH is skyhigh with a really low KH straight out of the tap. Another possibility is if you have snails in your tank, they will use the Calcium to build up their shells.

yes, what's the exact tank Kh and tap Kh?

CO2 will slowly dissolve CaCO2, but that's over several months, with no water changes. The carbonic acid will break it down.

Tap kH is 50 ppm CaCO3

Last night I measured 60 ppm CaCO3 in the 70 gal tank. I added 1 tsp sodium bicarb. and measured again 24 hours later. Still at 60 ppm.

Using a brand new Hagen titration-type kit.

Previous test, done on 2/11/06, indicated 90 ppm.

The last couple times I dosed for kH, I used Seachem "Alkaline Buffer" to raise it. That was just prior to the 11th (which is when I began keeping records). One small dose since then, on the 15th. Last night was the first time I used Sodium bicarb. (From the freezer, several months old, but sealed in a ziplock).

Yes, I have snails. Three gold mystery snails (each about the size of shooter marble) and 10 or 20 of those little brown ones that seem to come with every plant I buy.

Another tsp. of baking soda and no change in kH, so I added about a tablespoon of CaCO3 (dolomite) last night. Measured this morning and recorded a 10ppm increase (went form 60 to 70 ppm). Seems too small an increase for the amount I added... I may try to find another Kh test kit to verify.

Currently running a diatom filter with Vortex powder. Could that affect kH readings or adjustments?

The three mystery snails are putting on shells very fast. In the week or so they've been in the tany, I can CLEARY see 3/16" to 1/4" of new golden shell. Is that enough to affect my kH?

I can't seem to find exactly what Seachem's Alkaline buffer has in it. It's a white powder like Sodium Bicarb. and the MSDS shows it as containing "carbonate" and "bicarbonate" and is listed as phosphate-free.

I believe that your three mystery snails are the culprits, especially since they are putting on so much new shell growth. Means they're happy and healthy. Just keep buffering the water to keep up with their growth and you should be fine. You could also try feeding them calcium rich foods so that they won't be as dependant on the calcium in your water. Reptile Sticks are a good source of calcium as are several veggies.

Back
Top Bottom