Which Takashi Amano Book?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am hearing great things from this aquascaping guru and i would like to know if any of you reccomend his book's or a particular one of his books?
If anyone has any. :lol:

I am planning my first heavily planted tank so i guess i am a begginer in the planted aquascape side of things.

I'm looking for some inspiration, ideas, tips on plants, lighting, CO2. The lot basically.

TIA

I've got two of his books. Nature Aquarium World 1 & 2 I think. If you're just getting into planted tanks and want more info on how to grow plants, there are better books out there. His books are more for inspiration on aquascaping (which I thought I needed, but I have stepped back and put more time into growing my plants well before going into full out aquascaping). As good as they are for what they're supposed to be, I'd almost say Mr. Amano's books are pretty much just picture books (there is some text, but very limited). The reviews on Amazon.com are pretty spot on about what you'll find in them.

I bought Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock and there is some good info there (It's also only around $17 on amazon). If you're just starting out, I would recommend that one over the Amano books. They come later IMO.

Unfortunately with most books they are only general information. If you're looking for very specific information on how to set up a specific tank, or how to make a CO2 reactor, etc. you'll find that information here.

Good question Satsumas. With xmas coming up, I was thinking of picking up a few books for myself... I would not be expecting much more than pictures from Mr. Amano, but I am also interested to know what other have enjoyed in two areas (1) Photo / Inspiration Books and (2) Technical Detail books. -- I hope you don't mind me expanding your question a bit :)

Nature Aquarium World Book 1 and 2 seem to get better reviews that Book 3 and I think it is unanimous that these are more picture books than anything else.

This is my current wish list (always getting modified):

Ecology of the Planted Aquarium
Nature Aquarium World Volume 1
Nature Aquarium World Volume 2
Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants - Thanks JRagg!

I have all three of the Natural Aquarium Books, and I agree with the others that they are primarily coffee tables books. They make great eye candy and can give you inspiration on things to try, but will give you little in the way of an actual "How To". It's also good to note that whether due to translation issues or somesuch, many of the plants in these books are incorrectly identified. That being said, if you have some money to burn they are definate worth buying. The first book has a wide range of tank sizes, the second focuses primarily on small tanks, and the third focuses on large tanks. The first two are by far my favorites since they have scapes that are a scale closer to what I'm actually dealing with.

Lately I've actually been collecting some older books. While some of the information is out of date and/or they are highly focused on selling a particular manufacturer's product, it's still quite fun to browse through books that were "The" books to own not too long ago. So far I've collected the following:
"The Optimum Aquarium" by Kaspar Horst and Horst Kipper (Heavy Dupla Advertisements)
"Encyclopedia of Water Plants" by Dr. Jiri Stodola
"Aquarium Plants: Their Identification, Cultivation, and Ecology" by Dr. Karel Rataj and Thamas Horeman

A more recent text that I would recommend is:
"Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants" by Peter Hiscock

Books currently on my wish list include:
"Aquarium Plants" by Christel Kasselmann
"Planted Aquariums: Care and Maintenance" by Christel Kasselmann
"Ecology of the Planted Aquarium: A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquarist" by Diana Walstad
"Aquarium Plants Catalogue" by Tropica Aquarium Plants

My copy of "The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" is currently in Virginia, at least according to the UPS Tracking system. I've been looking forward to it, as I understand it's an excellent source for information on lower tech tanks and soil substrates.

I prefer to leaf through Amano's books at the book store or library, and purchase something a little heavier on text.

I make it unanimous... I have all three, and I basically look at the pretty pictures as I can't find too much info in the way of "Here is how you grow plants"... I am now looking (many many $ later) at a more in depth "research" type of book myself.

Right. So the way i see it is that the Amano book's are good for inspiration and ideas but don't offer much in the way of help. I can't say i blame the guy though, he doesn't want everyone to match his work now does he! :lol:

I've had a look at the Encyclopedia of plants by Peter Hiscock and it's now in 'My E-bay' and i'm yet to find the cheapest place to buy it. That'll be a late birthday present from my older brother i think! :D

Yeah i am after some ideas and inspiration but there is a lot of that on the net, whenever i go on the aquascaping competition page (http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2006.cgi) i'm on it for a while just looking in astonishment. I would like to enter one so hopefully i can pick up a few books that will help me get well on the way to creating something like those competition entries.

@dapellegrini - No not at all I would like to know what you suggested which is also a good question :D

Back
Top Bottom