Why do you use distilled when diluting Glut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
As the subject says I know why people dilute gluteraldehyde but a question recently popped up in another thread asking why distilled water why not just use tap water? My berst guesses would be either the chlorine in the water killing the glut or worse yet killing the fish or all the crap in our drinking water may have an adverse affect on the nutrients in the glut. Can't wait to hear wether in wrong or right on either guesses. Thank you.

Last edited:
I don't think distilled/RODI water is necessary here. If anything it's a precaution against an undemonstrated unknown factor that might come into play; just another way we can control the situation. I would probably use tank water, as it's not chlorinated (in case that's a problem).

So I could use tank water or tap water ford the whole batch or just for like what a weeks worth I also have a well out back would that water be better than tap or tank.

im sure as aquachem said, tank water would work fine, at first i thought their might be a mold issue if stored for a long time, but the Glut will kill off any mold anyways

As the subject says I know why people dilute gluteraldehyde but a question recently popped up in another thread asking why distilled water why not just use tap water? My berst guesses would be either the chlorine in the water killing the glut or worse yet killing the fish or all the crap in our drinking water may have an adverse affect on the nutrients in the glut. Can't wait to hear wether in wrong or right on either guesses. Thank you.

Glut is a sterilizing agent (kinda like chlorine), but what makes it nice is that plants can break it down for a carbon source. The only reason I could think of as to why someone would recommend distilled water is for a control. But as mentioned, it's not going to have any adverse reaction to tap water. From how I understand it, glut is a reducing agent that interacts with organics, so you wouldn't want to mix it with a high organic content medium for long tern storage.

Glut is a sterilizing agent (kinda like chlorine), but what makes it nice is that plants can break it down for a carbon source. The only reason I could think of as to why someone would recommend distilled water is for a control. But as mentioned, it's not going to have any adverse reaction to tap water. From how I understand it, glut is a reducing agent that interacts with organics, so you wouldn't want to mix it with a high organic content medium for long tern storage.

True that thanks a bunch

Back
Top Bottom