Wierd Aquarium Growth?? Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wmc2009

Aquarium Advice Freak
image-3502790571.jpg

Does anyone know what this stuff is attached to my live plants, decor, gravel, tank walls, and heater? It looks terrible and despite wiping it off it will not go away. I dose with a carbon solution for my plants but haven't installed a co2 system. I can't seem to find one locally so will have to order one online. Is this something growing? Will co2 clear it up?

Attachments

• image-2477453521.jpg
    image-2477453521.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 112
  • image-1793477377.jpg
    image-1793477377.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 152
If it isn't plant die off, it is probably just diatoms. From the best I can see it anyways. How long has the tank been running?

Wmc2009 said:
31 watts per bulb. The tank has been running over 6 months.

Diatoms form and go away over time. Your lights should be perfect :p.

Well they've been in the tank for over a month now and have yet to clear up. Is it normal for it to last that long?

Wmc2009 said:
Well they've been in the tank for over a month now and have yet to clear up. Is it normal for it to last that long?

Hmmmmm. I'm going to let someone else answer. I'm not qualified here, as mine cleared up relatively quickly after I added fish.

I thought diatoms were brown? I have the same stuff and thought it was wood mould, because it formed on my wood first and the wood was new, so apparently, that can happen. It looks a lot like yours and I have been fighting a constant battle. I have a thread called something like 29 gallon tank journal and if you go back through the posts you should find some pics that might be good for comparison.

Kind of white or grey? Turns up on the glass, plants, substrate, etc? When you siphon it ends up floating around a lot?

I am still trying to find a solution and will definitely be following along to see if anyone chimes in with good info. If I learn anything, I will definitely share.

Yeah your problem sounds just like mine. It did start on my main wood center piece and has covered pretty everything. When I wipe it just swirls around and then settles. My wood isn't actual wood though, I don't think?? I bought it from petsmart. It's made to look like wood.

image-821495216.jpg

I think I'm gonna do some major cleaning and remove that piece. If it clears up the problem then I'll know what the cause was. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the info.

Try a gravel vacuum of some sort to clear it. Do keep us posted. I hope that pretty piece isn't the cause!

Wmc2009 said:
Yeah your problem sounds just like mine. It did start on my main wood center piece and has covered pretty everything. When I wipe it just swirls around and then settles. My wood isn't actual wood though, I don't think?? I bought it from petsmart. It's made to look like wood.

I think I'm gonna do some major cleaning and remove that piece. If it clears up the problem then I'll know what the cause was. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the info.

If that was real wood, a bnp or a group of ottos would love it.

31 watts per bulb. Are these 30" T5HOs? You might have too much light. Your algae does kind of look like bba to me.

I better picture would help. Something that can take a Macro photo.

As far as the wood is concerned, new driftwood normally develops a white to grayish fungus when it's first introduced into the aquarium. This fungus is not harmful and will go away/stop forming after a couple of weeks.

rkilling1 said:
I better picture would help. Something that can take a Macro photo.

As far as the wood is concerned, new driftwood normally develops a white to grayish fungus when it's first introduced into the aquarium. This fungus is not harmful and will go away/stop forming after a couple of weeks.

I was thinking fungus too. It may be what I have in my tank, though I am no longer sure. Wmc2009 - what is your substrate again? Mine is sand and this stuff is no longer on just my wood and glass. It sits on my plants and substrate, but it's almost like thick dust. When I do a pwc or turn on my airstone it all kicks up into the water. It comes up in the siphon, but I can't seem to get it all and there's always more the next day. Does this still sound like what you have?

Yeah that sounds just like my problem. My substrate is gravel with a little plant fertilizer mixed in for my plants. Whatever the stuff is it covers my plants, on air hose tubing, gravel, decor, and on the glass of the aquarium. It's an eye sore and no matter how well I clean it always settle back on everything.

Back
Top Bottom