Wy Renegade's German Blue Ram Planted Pseudo Paradise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've wanted to do some German Blue Rams for a while now, but they are never available locally. I finally go the opportunity to aquire some from Severum Mumma and HN1, and they will be shipping sometime after the Holidays. So I started researching the habitat in which these fish are normally found in order to determine set-up and other inhabitants. I've decided that this will not be a biotope, but rather just a simulation of their biotope, as this is my first attempt at a true planted aquarium. So lets get started;

Tank: Aqueon 30 gallon (36" long, 12" wide, and 16.5" high)
Light: Aqueon 2x21watt NHOT5
Filter: AquaClear 30 (may update to an AquaClear 50)
Hard scape: Cottonwood and Apple driftwood
Substrate: Riparium Supply's Ionic Clay substrate
Fertilizer: Flourish; Excel, Comprehensive, and Nitrate as needed
Flora: Mosses; Christmas, Flame, Java, and an unknown or two. Plants; Crypt wendiss; red, brown, and green and Crypt pontiderfolias. maybe some anubias as well.
Fauna: Single German Blue Ram pair, and undetermined tetras (open to suggestions yet).

I used the following two sites as reference sources:
http://www.aquatic-experts.com/ARTICLE_swimming_with_cichlids.html
http://orinocobiotope.blogspot.com/

I started with a couple of large pieces of driftwood (cottonwood) and because I wanted to have an environment where they could swim in and out of the "roots" like they do in nature, I added several more branchy pieces of driftwood (apple).

Here's a couple shots of how the hardscape is currently looking, as I'm waiting for the substrate to firm up on pH before adding any plants.

img_2243954_0_32a05836b452e12c3262b356ad7a31fd.jpg

img_2243954_1_481d7b298f332a66c74ce972c4a95fd5.jpg

I'm thinking of adding some additional branching pieces in the back right corner, but I"m open to suggestions or input at this time. Thanks for looking.

You might think about adding leaf litter to lower the pH, which is what happens in SA tributaries and backwaters. You might also consider duckeeeding the tank to minimize the free nitrate.

I think it looks great without an added DW piece. I thin that may be too much personally.

Adding some Crypt Crispatula for some tall background plants would be really nice.

As for the Tetras, Bloodfins or Pandas would be great. Active and tight schoolers. Both with subtly beauty.

Are you planning on making it a blackwater tank?

You might think about adding leaf litter to lower the pH, which is what happens in SA tributaries and backwaters. You might also consider duckeeeding the tank to minimize the free nitrate.

Great suggestions Mark, I had thought about a floating plant, but was debating between duckweed and water lettuce (which Severum Mama was kind enough to send to me). Thoughts on which would be better? I hadn't thought about the leaf litter, which I think is a good idea; thoughts on types of leaves? I used cottonwood in my paludarium, but I'm not sure that is the look I'm going for here, since the native environment is more fern fronds.

I think it looks great without an added DW piece. I thin that may be too much personally.

Adding some Crypt Crispatula for some tall background plants would be really nice.

As for the Tetras, Bloodfins or Pandas would be great. Active and tight schoolers. Both with subtly beauty.

Are you planning on making it a blackwater tank?

Thanks, I'm still debating, just because I sort of want a few more "roots" in the back corner (its kind of open). I'll have to check on the C. crispatula, thanks for the suggestion. Also thanks for the suggestions on the tetras; I love the colors on the neons, they are just too fragile for me however. I'll check those two out. Not sure on the blackwater - I like the effect if its light enough, but hate trying to take pictures of blackwater. If I used almond leaves, I would get both the leaf litter and some blackwater effect as well.

Fun to watch...following along as I am wanting only 1 GBR though for my community tank, interested in others experiences! Mama's fish looked amazing, I would be so excited too. :popcorn:

I was always told Oak and Beech leaves. They need to come from acidic trees. I've seen some nice Oak leaf litter tanks. To get my GBR's to breed I use Indian Almond leaves on the substrate but these wouldn't go with what your doing.

Cardinals would be a good choice instead of Neons and IMO they look nicer too. Rummynose Tetras would also be a good choice.

I was always told Oak and Beech leaves. They need to come from acidic trees. I've seen some nice Oak leaf litter tanks. To get my GBR's to breed I use Indian Almond leaves on the substrate but these wouldn't go with what your doing.

Cardinals would be a good choice instead of Neons and IMO they look nicer too. Rummynose Tetras would also be a good choice.

Following for advice instead of starting a new thread. Awesome advice! Any particular species of oak?

Good info thanks! I think I know where I can come up with some nice oak leaf litter. I considered Rummynose tetras, but haven't had any luck finding them locally. They have such a poor reputation that I'm hesitant to order them online. I did ask Severum Mama about them, and she said she doesn't have a good supplier for them, so I'll consider the cardinals.

Last edited:
I actually order my 25 from LiveAquaria BUT I paid more and got tank bred ones not wild caught. That is their problem, most are wild caught and they just don't handle the stress. I have 25 Rummynose and 25 Cardinals in my tank and both look stunning so I don't think you'd be disappointed with either one.

All I have ever seen was Oak but you should be able to reseach a certain species to be sure the leaves break down acidic. I've seen tanks with Pin Oak leaves and I think I remember one with White Oak leaves (remember that because of the shape of the leaves).

Great suggestions Mark, I had thought about a floating plant, but was debating between duckweed and water lettuce (which Severum Mama was kind enough to send to me). Thoughts on which would be better? I hadn't thought about the leaf litter, which I think is a good idea; thoughts on types of leaves? I used cottonwood in my paludarium, but I'm not sure that is the look I'm going for here, since the native environment is more fern fronds.

Duckweed vs Lettuce is a tough one. Lettuce is a bit more user friendly in that its larger, easier to remove, and less likely to get everywhere, but you just can raw nitrogen sucking power of duckweed. It's even been documented in literature as a monster of ammonia consumption. It's also got a smaller profile in that WL has a big root system that will hand down, but many people enjoy that. In the end, it probably doesn't matter all that much which you choose, and if you already have WL en route I would go with that. FYI, it doesn't ship well in my experience, but rebounds really well.

As far as leaves go, Oak leaves will hold up longer in your tank than Indian almond leave, but IAL will have a much more immediate, dramatic effect than oak.

I actually order my 25 from LiveAquaria BUT I paid more and got tank bred ones not wild caught. That is their problem, most are wild caught and they just don't handle the stress. I have 25 Rummynose and 25 Cardinals in my tank and both look stunning so I don't think you'd be disappointed with either one.

My only complaint about Rummynose (which are stunning and would look great in the tank) are that they can be shy. Or at least all the ones I've ever had have been. Although, with the suppressed lighting from the Duck Weed/Water Lettuce, they may be more active.

That's why I suggested Bloodfins. Around the same coloration (when they get older, they get white tips on the red fins and their body get some glossy blue/green on the body) and have always been super active in my tanks. I think either way you can't go wrong :)

My only complaint about Rummynose (which are stunning and would look great in the tank) are that they can be shy. Or at least all the ones I've ever had have been. Although, with the suppressed lighting from the Duck Weed/Water Lettuce, they may be more active.

That's why I suggested Bloodfins. Around the same coloration (when they get older, they get white tips on the red fins and their body get some glossy blue/green on the body) and have always been super active in my tanks. I think either way you can't go wrong :)

That's funny because in my tank the school of Rummy's are out and zipping around all day. My Cardinals on the other hand are the shy ones. Perhaps my Rummy's are so active because I have a school of 25.

That's funny because in my tank the school of Rummy's are out and zipping around all day. My Cardinals on the other hand are the shy ones. Perhaps my Rummy's are so active because I have a school of 25.

Very well could be! Currently have 7 in my 29g. Perhaps it's also a reaction to the room? I seem to remember my friend having a few in his planted 55g and they were pretty active.

Either way Wy. Both great choices with Rummys having a little bit better coloration :)

Thanks guys, currently doing some checking to see if I can aquire either locally or not so locally ;), but still avoid the internet.

Moss and Plants Added!

Ok, oak leaves are on the way! pH finally balanced out today, so we got some plants added; couple three or four varieties of moss, couple types of anubias, several types of crypts, some elodea, and some unknowns that came with the moss.

You all can feel free to critique my planting, cause I've never done a fully planted tank before;
img_2246946_0_7c6bf11b264d991c7652aa1045d5b364.jpg

img_2246946_1_0cd3a2551282cf70d49375227ca4fa54.jpg

img_2246946_2_305b7fc7228e38c713a8f4e907681992.jpg

img_2246946_3_9e68c5829cb9a394a0648b34f6f721c9.jpg

I did end up adding another branchy piece to the right-hand side.

Looks like you are off to a great start here Randy. Thanks for chronicling it for us.

Looking even better! Those rams will love it (y)

One tetra that I really like that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Emperor Tetra. When full grown, their finnage is quite elegant for a tetra. Just something to look in to.

Back
Top Bottom