Your Opinion: Plants With Chutes To Surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I have some plants that will send a chute to the surface and will either open into a big leaf or a type of flower. I would like to know what others do with these. I like the plants, but I'm not wild about having a bunch of these things firing off to the surface. I've cut them before, and they've come back. Just wondering if there is any value to letting them stay put.

All opinions welcome, unless you want to tell me my tank is ugly :)

Pics for your reference:

Attachments

• image-1834734362.jpg
    image-1834734362.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 61
  • image-3744682655.jpg
    image-3744682655.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 62
  • image-2499653756.jpg
    image-2499653756.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 70
Yea, aponogetons and lilies are especially bad about that. Scissors aren't really much of a deterrent, but it keeps the tank fairly clean if you can stay on top of it. As far as preventing it.... Do a crappier job? The plants are doing that because they are healthy and have energy to spare to try to flower. Unfortunately not a whole lot you can do that I know of.

To of curiosity, what kind if lights do you have? And I don't ask this often, but what's the color rating on them?

Yea, aponogetons and lilies are especially bad about that. Scissors aren't really much of a deterrent, but it keeps the tank fairly clean if you can stay on top of it. As far as preventing it.... Do a crappier job? The plants are doing that because they are healthy and have energy to spare to try to flower. Unfortunately not a whole lot you can do that I know of.

To of curiosity, what kind if lights do you have? And I don't ask this often, but what's the color rating on them?

Any reason I should be concerned about cutting them back? I don't want to damage the plants long-term, but Im not wild about a bunch of wiry looking stems going from the floor to top of my tank... right now there are 5 and at least 1 more on it's way. The bananna plant was not so stubborn. I cut the chute once and it gave up.

With my lilies I just cut the long stems off and they grow smaller compact stems with large leaves, it is just how mine grew and I have heard of others doing that too. Not sure about the other plants though.

Mine go to the top of my 80g, but I let them dot hat. I love the look.

Since you don't, then no, it won't damage the plant to cut them back. When I do trim mine, I cut it close to where the stem is coming from the bulb.

My water wisteria does this a lot. Im not too bothered by it. When I do trim, I pinch it in half with my fingers and replant the clipping. It's easy and cheap plant propagation.

My water wisteria does this a lot. Im not too bothered by it. When I do trim, I pinch it in half with my fingers and replant the clipping. It's easy and cheap plant propagation.

Does that work will all these plants? They are growing from bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom