to shrimp or not to shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andi1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi from south yorkshire. Only had a tank since december, (water good and test it myself) got neons, guppies & a couple of platties. Friend said it would be a good idea to add a shrimp or two to help clean the tank . . Know nothing of shrimps any advice ???

andi1 said:
Hi from south yorkshire. Only had a tank since december, (water good and test it myself) got neons, guppies & a couple of platties. Friend said it would be a good idea to add a shrimp or two to help clean the tank . . Know nothing of shrimps any advice ???

I don't know why this is in the pond section but oh well. I wouldn't buy ghost shrimp in community they will try to attack other fish but your fish will just have a good meal. Red cherry shrimp would go well though. Was the tank cycled just wondering

Opps sorry for posting in wrong place. Read it as 'over the pond' section; not in the pond !! Thanks for advice; how big do they grow dont want owt too big. will have a look in the aquatics shop tom cheers

andi1 said:
Opps sorry for posting in wrong place. Read it as 'over the pond' section; not in the pond !! Thanks for advice; how big do they grow dont want owt too big. will have a look in the aquatics shop tom cheers

It's all ok wondering if you did it on purpose. Red cherry shrimp are pretty cool and grow to 1inch 1/2 I haven't seen them any bigger but 2 inches I think are the max. Good luck on your search for getting them!

I've had the opposite experience with my shrimp, I started with ghost shrimp in my tank with a few fish, Dwarf gourami, mollie, and a couple smaller fish and the ghost shrimp have done great, I then bought a few Crystal Red Shrimp which were a little pricey and they were quickly eaten by everything in the tank, even the ghost shrimp ate some. I managed to save two out of 10. Now the two are in their own seperate tank.

Thanks for letting me know, i will have to be carefull. Dont want anyone becoming dinner !

There are many species of dwarf shrimp you can add to your tank. I prefer amanos to red cherrys as amanos are peaceful as well but they get a little bigger.
You may have to occasionally supplement their diet with an algae wafer or shrimp pellet.
You can tell if they have been eating bc you can see their stomach

Thank.you i will have a look. And will make sure to feed em if need be

Hi got red shrimps yest. Had 10 at last count 2 left ! Need to re think maybe they just too small any others that arnt too expensive easy to get hold of and maybe not as easy to eat ??

Amano's are your best bet. I have 4 and they don't bother anything, and nothing bothers them.

I have 1 ghost shrimp that likes to have a nibble of my smaller fishes tales.

The red cherry, tiger, bee shrimp would most probably be eaten or you'll rarely see them.

Thanks for that will have a look round. Your rite about thw rcs I know I have at least a couple in there bt only ever get a quick glance

Back
Top Bottom