65gal discus breeding tank rebuild/rescaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BN pleco surprise

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1429988642538.jpg
    1429988642538.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 84
Ok so after finding baby plecos, its back to work emptying out the tanks plants. As you can see finding the pleco babies made me happy.

Attachments

• 1429989189167.jpg
    1429989189167.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 97
I always do substrate and plants. But its not the norm for many breeders. Most i know keep pairs in a bare bottom 29-40 gal with a breeding cone. I could do this, but my goal as a fish keeper is to have them breed in the most natural setting as possible. I think it helps keep the parents happy. and less stress on them the better for me. I also dont do this for money. Its nice to make some fir water bills etc... but not why im in this at all. I say that because alot of breeders are. They will keep pairs like work horses in bare tanks for yrs. Shortening their life span, growth, and overall happiness as a fish.

I'm in a weird position- not in it for the money, so I don't need them to be work horses, but I also have to keep within budget and within scientific justification. I'm going to see what i can do about plants and sand in the breeder tanks when it comes to that. If I can even get them to breed lol.

Our theory is that the adult fish are passing IgT (a type of antibody) to the fry through the mucus as a source of nitrogen, and also to jumpstart innate immunity. If we're right, then there's some specific similarities we would see from running electrophoresis on the proteins from mucus samples in breeding fish and stressed fish.There might be quite few similarities actually, but we don't quite know what to expect because discus are so poorly studied. They're so expensive as research fish. Plus, stressing discus is easy, but breeding them is hard...

Check it out, found my aponogeoton blooming underwater. Lots of cool things to find i guess when you strip a tank down.

Attachments

• 1429989729563.jpg
    1429989729563.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 98
Jeez, you're just finding everything! Baby plecos, blooming plants... keep going, maybe you'll find nessie somewhere!

Now thats a big aponogeoton! Shes grown a bit since she dirst went in there. Had 3 leaves when i got her.

Attachments

• 1429990278175.jpg
    1429990278175.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 63
Empty and the discus are peeved at me. Sorry guys.

Forgot pic

Attachments

• 1429990359341.jpg
    1429990359341.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 70
Now a major cleaning and water change. Gotta throw out a bunch of those floaters too.

Sry guys, on a lunch break. Lol, inner fat kid says lunchy munchy.

Hey sinibotia! Got any info on tannins in the water and discus? I.E. Does it bug them? do they notice? Do they like it? Etc...

Absolutely no research on it, as far as I can tell! I would imagine at the very least they don't notice given the nature of their natural habitat.

I'm just waiting to see things come together. I'm in no position to give comments or suggestions, lol.

Thats kinda what i figured, just curious since im abt to add this new wood. You know its gonna leech some tannins. Even with the fact that i soaked it forc48 hrs. Lol

To give you an idea, I just searched symphysodon on Web of Science and just 53 research articles came up. That might seem like a lot but when you consider all there is to know about a fish, it's barely scraping the surface.

So ive added back in some wood and plants. Water is murky, but expected after major tank and filtet maintenance.

Heres what I've got so far.

Attachments

• 1429998437977.jpg
    1429998437977.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 1429998448231.jpg
    1429998448231.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 68
I placed the driftwood just to the right of the water flow back into the tank. The purpose for this is it can help with fanning the eggs for young parents. And most the water flowing over them is freshly filtered.

Ive left plenty of room for swimming behind and around the driftwood. With lots of open places for them to lazily feed. But with lots of nooks to chill in out of the limelight.

Back
Top Bottom