65gal discus breeding tank rebuild/rescaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PoppaRyno

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all. So my favorite LFS had a sale today. 50% off everything, more on somethings. So i bought 3-400$ worth of plants and equipment for 105$. Truly awsome. Ive got new plants and driftwood. So lets rescape. Input is always appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So heres what it looked like and the tennants.

Attachments

• 1429982982417.jpg
    1429982982417.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 1429983004442.jpg
    1429983004442.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 137
Tank has 2 aquaclear110 H.O.B. filters. 300 w finnex titanium heater. And a quad t5 ho lighting system. So i have bought many new plants and a new big peice of driftwood. Ive been soaking the wood for 48 hrs now and am confident its ready to go.

I use fine grain white gravel. Its good for discus since they are slow/ lazy eaters. They like to shoot a stream of air/water at the food on the floor to kick it up to eat it. It keeps that food ever present to them. No slipping through the cracks! Plus my assasin snails love ,it too. They breed like crazy in there.

I use only lighting for the plants. No ferts, or co2. I dont want my water perameters to be for anything other than discus breeding. So for this i use a 4 bulb t5 ho setup. 2 bulbs daylight, 2 true red bulbs, 49watts each bulb. It also has 12 led, actinic blue moonlight bulbs.

Attachments

• 1429983914382.jpg
    1429983914382.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 104
So.... heres a few of the new pieces we'll be playing with. Driftwood, cabomba, and red ludwigia narrow leaf (not repens).

Attachments

• 1429984304539.jpg
    1429984304539.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 1429984316295.jpg
    1429984316295.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 1429984326830.jpg
    1429984326830.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 1429984337232.jpg
    1429984337232.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 105
Im going to thin 1 or a few of the red melon sword plants out to my GBR breeding pairs 20 gal. I might do a build for it as well. Well see how this one goes.

Gonna take a quick attitude adjustment break, lmao. Then back to it.

Anyone got any plants/stuff in with their discus they swear by?

Anyone got any plants/stuff in with their discus they swear by?

Jungle Val. Usually looks really good. Especially with the contrast of discus' colors

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Love input. I wanna make this interactive-ish. Think that would be fun.

I definately have an outbreak of val in my angel tanks. Good suggestion.

Anytime. I would just plant a "wall" of it along the back glass

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Ok. Back and feeling good. So now i think its time to empty it out to just the substrate.

So i was starting to empty out the tank and noticed the lil BN plecos had hatched, and wiggling around the cave. So im grabbing it as we speak and sticking them and dad in a breeder box. Cool

I would love to input but frankly I'm a student in this thread, I'm legit taking notes for my own project lol. I'm considering this "Discus breeding tank setup 101".

I've got a 6 foot/125 gallon for my discus to grow up in and then a couple of 55s that I can move any pairs into. I'm gonna try to model those 55's after what you're doing here. Especially since your build is specifically for breeding, and I know you know your stuff.

So do you think live plants and substrate are best, rather than bare bottom or just substrate? In my 125 growout I've got gravel (which I hate but I'm stuck with; might cover it with sand), two small pieces of driftwood, and a big PVC pipe. With such a tight budget and a scientific focus I can only add things that will significantly improve the fish's condition and thus better results. Do you think it'd make a worthwhile difference?

Look at the lil guys! No clue how many are in there. They are in a large breeder box now w/ some hornwort to give them a feeling of cover. Lol, the things you find when not expecting to.

So im trying to upload image. Its telling me to log in to upload image. Im already logged in though.

I would love to input but frankly I'm a student in this thread, I'm legit taking notes for my own project lol. I'm considering this "Discus breeding tank setup 101".

I've got a 6 foot/125 gallon for my discus to grow up in and then a couple of 55s that I can move any pairs into. I'm gonna try to model those 55's after what you're doing here. Especially since your build is specifically for breeding, and I know you know your stuff.

So do you think live plants and substrate are best, rather than bare bottom or just substrate? In my 125 growout I've got gravel (which I hate but I'm stuck with; might cover it with sand), two small pieces of driftwood, and a big PVC pipe. With such a tight budget and a scientific focus I can only add things that will significantly improve the fish's condition and thus better results. Do you think it'd make a worthwhile difference?

I always do substrate and plants. But its not the norm for many breeders. Most i know keep pairs in a bare bottom 29-40 gal with a breeding cone. I could do this, but my goal as a fish keeper is to have them breed in the most natural setting as possible. I think it helps keep the parents happy. and less stress on them the better for me. I also dont do this for money. Its nice to make some fir water bills etc... but not why im in this at all. I say that because alot of breeders are. They will keep pairs like work horses in bare tanks for yrs. Shortening their life span, growth, and overall happiness as a fish.

Back
Top Bottom