crocea clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Woohoo!!! We found a new fish store today in Austin and they had two crocea clams for 50$ apiece. Beautiful blue ones. They are about 3 to 4" across and they constitute the final additions to our 90g. Now we can just sit back and let the corals go crazy. The only thing we still want is a regal blue tang and then we are done. We also picked up a rbta for the 20g.

Congrats kat!! Croceas are beautiful pieces. They are not sand dwellers but instead prefer to live in the rock structure. They will attach themselves permanently, so placing each on a small, moveable piece of LR, or a half-shell from another clam is a good idea so it can be easily moved in the future. They are the most light needy of all Tridacna clams. I've had the best results w/ mine high up in the tank-about 3/4ths of the way right under an MH. And trust me, they can handle, and will do best in, ALL the light you can provide to them. Best of luck.

I have set them on a small flat stone each and have posted pics in my gallery whenever they clear pending status. They are beautiful. We have 2 250w 20,000k mh bulbs with 10,000k and actinic normal output flourescents. I think they will be fine on the lighting. After they attach to the rocks I can raise them higher in the tank, but for now they are on the bottom.

but for now they are on the bottom.
Good idea. Let them acclimate themselves to your tank for a couple weeks before moving them around. Provided good lighting-which you have- and water, they are fairly hardy once they are fully acclimated.

Back
Top Bottom