My Fish Had Babies??? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, I'm very new to this. I went out and got a 20gallon tank, tropical freshwater, i set it all up, and now have had fish in it since Sunday, 2 Platies and an Albino Rainbow Shark, I got home from work and looked in on my fishies, and these little things were moving, on closer inspection i found they were baby fish! I'm going to assume they're baby Platies, one of them were acting funny, and now it's swimming around all fine. What do I need to do to try and keep them alive?! I'm in shock!! Help!

Thanks!!

well you need a breeding net and some hikari first bites. also you need to return the shrk bc it will out grow your tank.

you buy them at petsmart or petco they look like this
aquarium_fish_breeder_net.jpg

Probably Platies...Platies are livebearing fish (don't lay eggs) and the females are pretty easy to breed. Get the breeding net and try and net as many of the babies (fry) as you can and place them in the net. This is to keep them safe from the other fish. Or, you can go opposite and net the parents but the net is really too small an area for them for longer than maybe a few days.

Use small food as the mouths of these fry are tiny. Well ground flake food, someone suggested the Hikari version, works. The problem is that it is very easy to overfeed and the net won't allow the food particles to get sucked into the filter.

The fry can be released back into the main tank once they grow a bit. Upon release, have a bunch of fine leafed plants in the tank in any case to allow them to hide if necessary. Eventually, they will get too big for the other fish to consider them as food vice other fish :)

Remember though if you do decide to keep the babies they will soon grow big so will either need to keep minimal fish in the tank or get another tank in the long run! They look real cute but can out do a tank easily! Or sell then like I do, or let nature take it's course and see if they survive with all the other fish, you can feed them crumbled up flake food with no problems

I have a fix for the plastic breeding that people complain fry swim out of.
Clear pacing tape inside and out so the adhesive sides are facing each other with the plastic breeding slots are in the middle then cut little slits. they work az 2 way reeds

Back
Top Bottom