RBTA Gone and done it!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UPDATE ***2/3/08****

The RBTA is still in it's hole and that is just fine with me for now. Since we are upgrading to a 210 in the next few months it can hang out where it is and not sting anything.

The color is really starting to deepen now and it is out and puffed up almost all day long now.
rbta2308amediumkb4.jpg

Yeah so far so good. I'm still not going to mess with it. I figure when I upgrade to the 210 I will worry about moving it at that point. For now it can stay where it is. I plan on putting it on the center island in the 210 so it will have limited movement. I'm happy with the way it is looking and I think it is going to be just fine. I'll keep the updates coming.

Hope you dont' mind if i ask a quick question on your thread. I've heard that the BTA can sting some corals and damage them. Are there some corals that will tolerate it and others that will be damaged or are all corals gonna have issues if the BTA gets to close. By the way the tank looks amazing ziggy. I can't wait to seee what you do with all the room in the new 210. When i get a real job and some money i'm gonna make you help me plan out a real tank so it can look like that.

LOL..thanks Pat.

Most if not all anemones will have an effect on corals if they come in contact with them. That is also true of corals coming into contact with other corals. The reason anemones tend to be more of an issue is they can move around, corals stay put just get larger. The RBTA in my tank was on a rock that was close enough to the rest of the rock work that it was able to move from one rock to my main rockwork and thus ended up in the spot it is in now. That isn't much of a problem for me because if it gets too close to a coral I can just move the coral. Right now I'm more concerned about the RBTA getting healthy again rather then the corals near it. So far though it has stayed in the hole it is in and isn't large enough to reach any of the corals around it.

Let me know when you are ready to plan that tank I'll be glad to offer my advice.

Haha well it will be a while before i get a bigger tank. I'm still in college so right now i'm scraping together a little 12 gallon with money i should be spending on things like .. books. but you know, a guy has to have his priorities. A better tank is once i get a job and a place to put a bigger tank. Until then i just live vicariously through tanks like yours. Good luck that that BTA its a cool looking one.

I plan on putting it on the center island in the 210 so it will have limited movement.
LOL, no such thing as limited movement. It will go where it wants until it is happy. No eyes for it see where it is going, so it just moves around randomly.

They don't tend to walk across the sand bed very much, it's usually from rock to rock. I plan on having it on the center most island in the new tank it can have free run of that island.

UPDATE - 2/23/08

The RBTA is growing and still getting darker in color. It seems to be very happy in its little hole. Like I said I'm giong to just leave it there and not try and move it for now. When I move everything over to the 210 we can deal with it then. My clowns ignore it still but that is ok I don't want them stressing it out right now.

Anyway all is well with the RBTA!!

******Update 2/28/0/******

The RBTA is doing very well I have fed it a couple of times and it seems to be happy. The color is getting darker still and it is starting to stretch out more. I'm gonig to have to move the green birdsnest but that is ok.

rbta22808bmedium2um6.jpg

rbta22808bmediummf7.jpg

I have a lot of building before the 210 will be up and running. I plan on getting things started in March.

***Update 3/7/08****

The RBTA is doing great the color is getting darker and darker. IT has nearly doubled in size since going into my tank. I'm going to have to move 2 corals to keep them from getting stung. The green birdsnest is the one Im most concerned with so it will be relocated this weekend. I'm going to try and get a good topdown shot of the RBTA and post it.

All in all things are looking very good for the anemone!

It's not way down in the hole like it was. I think it's staying away from the coral right in front of it. I'm going to move that today so it will have a little more room. Other then that I'm going to leave it alone, until I move it to the new tank. Then I'm going to put it somewhere and hope that it stays. A friend of mine has a neat little trick he does when he puts an anemone somewhere. AS soon as he puts it in the tank he feeds it on the spot. This makes the anemone think it will be fed in that spot so it stays put. It has worked for him with the different anemones he has had so I'm going to give that a try when I put it in the 210.

*****UPDATE******3/22/08

Well I took the canopy off the tank today and moved a few things around. Getting some corals out of the way of the RBTA was my main plan. So here is what it looks like now. The image quality isn't the greates I don't have my tripod at the moment.

1010671smallyy1.jpg

1010670smallhk7.jpg

It is looking a lot better then when I first got it. It was tiny about the size of a silver dollar. I had to move all those corals around because it has grown so much. The color is still not as deep and dark red as most RBTAs but it is getting there. I think in a few months it will be amazing!!!

Back
Top Bottom