Upgrading from 40g to 90g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaMcmurrough

Aquarium Advice Regular
Advice on a how to move fish from a 40 to a 90. I am using all decor filters and lights for the 90. I am putting the 90 in the exact location of the 40. How can I make the change without lots of casualties. The 40 has been up and running for almost a year.

Any advice? I'm very anxious about the transfer. Stories of successful moves would be comforting!

I did the same thing pretty much about a month back, upgrading from a 40 l to 120. Here's what I did:

Emptied all but about 1.5 inches of water from old tank into buckets.
Netted my fish (3 platys, 4 corys and 6 danios) and transferred to one of the buckets of old tank water.
Moved the old tank onto another surface and put the new one in its place.
Put substrate, some new dechlorinated water and decor into the new tank.
Put back all the old tank water, transferred the fish back and topped up with more dechlorinated water.

I was using a new, bigger filter so for the first week or so I added used media from the old filter to the new filter, I also added Evolutiion Aqua's Pure Aquarium to kick start the bacteria in the new filter.

I was quite nervous about the whole thing before I started but everything fell into place. A month on and the new tank is doing well, water quality stable and I have just added 3 pearl gourami and a bristlenose plec.

Good luck, I hope it all goes well!

Ali

The old stand and and tank are moving to another room. I'm putting the bigger one and stand in its place. It was so much easier the first time starting fresh. I'm just worried I will lose someone In the transfer.

Back
Top Bottom