12 gallon with 36 watt light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JLatsko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is 36 watts of light on a 12 gallon bow front enough to keep anemones? It has a power compact with one blue side and one white side. Inside right now though are 1 clarki, 1 yellow damsel and 1 blue damsel. 1 coral banded shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, and 2 feather dusters. Also 20 lbs. live rock, 2 inches of black sand. Tanks been up running good for 4 months. All tests say zero, except for nitrates at 10. I do 5 gallon water changes every 2 weeks.

In a nut shell nope ..Anenomes require large ammounts of light , stable and mature invroment ... In a 12 gallon an anenmome will quickly out grow a system of that size if you meet its minimum requirements...
They pull zoothanelle out of the lighting they need , they also tend to walk even if everything seemsfine ... I would say if you want it for your fish look for something liek a frogspawn , torch or hammer coral those are good pseudonems that most clowns would host . As to the stocking you are headed for issues with the 3 damsels in a small tank and a coral shrimp , coral shrimps and damsels are territorial and will kill off stuff in that small of a tank ... sounds like some reasearch needs to be done here be for you have a crash :)

Inside right now though are 1 clarki, 1 yellow damsel and 1 blue damsel. 1 coral banded shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, and 2 feather dusters. ...

8-O

Wow... is there room for any water in there? :)

But honestly, you're going to have to do something about your stocking levels. That's just way too many fish in a 12g to not have water quality issues. You may be fine now, but only doing water changes every 2 weeks... and too big of ones too, in my opinion (40% PWC)... is going to eventually catch up to you. What's the tanks pH and alkalinity just before you do a water change?

Back
Top Bottom