Chia Pet Live Rock...Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K Dub

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started my 75 gal FOWLR on June 30 w/ 110 lbs. LR Large excellent canister filter/ Large Red Sea Protein Skimmer (on order, be in on Tuesday) and 2 phds in tank. I only had a small Ammonia spike on day 2 and 3 (used good cured LR from LFS) and water perams are good since then : PH 8.3-4 SG 1.021(low because FO) 0 Ammon, 0 Nitrite& Trate, KH 8(trying to raise) and I went away for 4 days and came back to long lush green hair algae on top layer of LR and on substrate some... I have had the lights (2 50/50 flor. & 1 Blue Actinic) on for about 9 hrs. p/day. I did a couple 5% water chg's, pulled a lot of the Algae of the rock and softly scrubbed it, but still have some and disrupted the substrate a little where it was. Have 20 hermits in tank(15 blue leg, 5 red leg) and just a couple turbo's that came with the LR... Any suggestions?? :?

I would say 15 to 20 % water changes. How often are you feeding? Need to cut back to every other day.

0 po4, but tests only test for organic or inorganic...can't remember, but I only use RO/DI from my LFS, which is excellent. I have a feeling that when I get my protein skimmer in (on order, will be in on Tuesday due to broken impeller when I bought it) the algae will begin to subside. My water is excellent and today I just added my 2 small ocellaris clowns from the QT tank (their happy and eating already) and put an awesome little purple tang in QT today :mrgreen: I just want to get to the bottom of the algae...(no pun intended) :lol: I am going to put the phosban in the tank I guess. Was hoping someone here had some experience with this... Love the site!!! any info is appreciated

melosu..read my 1st post...I didn't have ANY fish in tank until about 2 hrs. ago...so there hasn't been any feeding. Water is great. I just must have some nutrients or something (organic po4) in the water. looking for suggestions on a new tank to get rid of this...Thanks for advice :)

Do you have a UV. They get rid of algea spores. I used to have a hair algea problem many years ago. Then I got a UV and never had it since . Wheather it was the UV(Ithink so) or not It vanished.

Nope...Don't have a UV filter...Don't really want to add more gizmo's...I'm putting in the phosban this morning and have a purple tang in QT...We'll see :|

Back
Top Bottom