Converting Freshwater to Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just thought about converting freshwater tank to saltwater in the next few months. What do I need to do to get the tank up and running. I know plenty about saltwater already, I was planning on getting one before my freshwater but it never happened. Anything you think would help would be great!

Hi. I just converted my FW to SW. There are some good articles to get started on this forum. You can still use some of the same equipment. I'm in the Chicagoland area so if you need a raw shrimp or two to get your cycle going, LMK.

Well to start out all you need is a salt mix, hydrometer(recommended that you have a refractometer) sand as a substrate. Lighting, some type of filter, and I would highly recommend live Rock. Saltwater is not really that hard or that much dif then fresh water. It just gets expensive and is more tedious when you start adding corals.

I love the way live rock looks! I think I might convert to a nano reef tank.

George9 said:
I love the way live rock looks! I think I might convert to a nano reef tank.

Haha that is how I am! I have been setting this up for about 2 months now and have a sump and lighting ready. I am going to do soft corals at first and start fragging for money to get better items.

from, Adam

Fishfan321 said:
Haha that is how I am! I have been setting this up for about 2 months now and have a sump and lighting ready. I am going to do soft corals at first and start fragging for money to get better items.

from, Adam

Awesome! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom