Copper problems/questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, I think I'm gonna run into some problems. I'm converting my FW to SW, and I realized that before I set up a QT tank, I added ich medicine (with copper!!!) to my main tank. Do I need to buy a new tank? I'm setting up a FOWLR tank, but may want to get some inverts and corals eventually. I'm picking up my LR and LS this weekend!! Just when I thought everything was falling into place, this happens. Well at least I remebered before I added anyting to it. Any suggestions? TIA!

I had 4 Oscars, and they were getting way too big for my 90 gal. My co-worker has a 125 gal. so I gave them to him. It's weird. I never thought I'd ever be saying this about (a) fish, but I miss them. lol. They had personality!!

What kind of copper was it? Most chelated form or Cupramine are easily removed for the most part. Since you'll be ditching most things in the switch, properly cleaning the tank (bleach/water solution) should eliminate any concerns. If you can delay the rock and sand for a week I'd also suggest filling the tank with plain RO water and running it empty with some carbon to be safe.

At the end of the week, test for traces of copper with the appropriate test kit. Chances are hogh you won't even get a color change. Just be sure nothing CaCO3 based, resins, ceramics or filter pads are ever used from the old set up.

Cheers
Steve

The ich treatment reads:

Active ingredients:
Soluble copper salts

Good idea. I forgot about the copper test kits. I'll do that.

I was shocked when you said bleach/water solution. I've never thought of putting bleach near any of my tanks/equipment. What ratio should I mix? I'd be scared to over do it. Thanks again.

Heineken said:
The ich treatment reads:

Active ingredients:
Soluble copper salts

Good idea. I forgot about the copper test kits. I'll do that.
That would suggest ionic copper which is not easily removed but as long as you do not use any old equipment you should be fine. Polyfilters are exceptional at removing copper of all types.

What brand was the copper?

I was shocked when you said bleach/water solution. I've never thought of putting bleach near any of my tanks/equipment. What ratio should I mix? I'd be scared to over do it. Thanks again.
Diluted unscented 6% bleach is one of the best cleaning agents. Dilute at 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Allow to soak overnight, rinse well with fresh water and if possible soak again in a good dechlorinator. Chlorines natural state is as a gas so once used and allowed to air dry for a few days (preferabley in a heated environment), it disipates naturally.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom