Coralline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
How come coralline algae is growing very well on my glass, but seems to be disappearing from my
live rock?

Sorry not enough info... FOWLR. No corals, I dont even test for anything other than amm, trites, trates, PH, and phates... I don't dose anything, just top offs and wc's...

So I'm not big on adding stuff to my tank but I added some of that purple up...it's working! Should I not? I did stop because my calcium was high last test.

coralline generally grows much faster on glass/plastic/powerheads. I have no idea why, but getting a good coating of it along your rocks will take time. If it is growing well on your glass then your levels are ok, you just have to be patient!

The only thing that happens quickly in this hobby is disaster!

Haha good call Jimbo... I bought some live rock from a well established tank that was completely covered in coralline... A couple months down the road, the rock looks like its turning white, but the back wall of my tank, ph's, filter, etc are turning purple... I figured if it was growing on the walls, it shouldn't be receding from the rocks!

Chances are there are a couple different strains of coralline in your tank. What is probably happening is that your tank doesnt have the same conditions as the previous tank so certain strains that could have grown very well before, might be dying in your tank. No big deal! A different strain is growing in your conditions is seems. No two tanks are the same!

Cool beans thank you. Maybe I'll get an even new strain when I upgrade to my new tank in a couple weeks :cool:

Jimbo7 said:
coralline generally grows much faster on glass/plastic/powerheads. I have no idea why, but getting a good coating of it along your rocks will take time. If it is growing well on your glass then your levels are ok, you just have to be patient!

The only thing that happens quickly in this hobby is disaster!

Geez my tank is the opposite.. Growing well on the rocks but I'm lucky to have a couple of specs on the glass! And when it does get on the glass Its on the front of the tank, not the back :(

I'd rather have it on my rocks personally! I guess it kinda looks cool on the back, but it's painted
black anyways so meh..

aadair22 said:
Geez my tank is the opposite.. Growing well on the rocks but I'm lucky to have a couple of specs on the glass! And when it does get on the glass Its on the front of the tank, not the back :(

Mine does this too and I have to scrape it off...(sighs) :(

I have just the opposite. Growing on the rocks and very little on the plastics (power heads and mag float and a little on the overflows) but none on the glass. Weird. I don't dose anything in that tank at all. Weird... I want it on the back glass, but no dice.

Back
Top Bottom