CPR Bak-Pak 2 or Bak-Pak 2R-Which Protien Skimmer to Get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had finally decided to get a CPR Bak-Pak Skimmer for my 40 Gallon Breeder set up. It will start out as a FOWLR (40lbs of live rock), with the hopes of turning into a Reef as time (and money) permits.

Now I find that there are 2 versions, the Bak-Pak 2 and the Bak-Pak 2R Which one would be better for my setup? I think the Bio Bale would provide a nice "added safety" to the tank, until a have a lot more Live Rock, as then I wouldn't really needed the Bio-Bale aspect.

To me, the 2R looks like a Bak-Pak 2, just without the Bio-Bale. I was wondering if I got the Bak-Pak 2, could I just take out the Bio-Bale as the reef is created as not have a high Nitrate levels? Would the skimmer action still work?

Getting down to the wire for ordering my parts...and I want to do the right thing the first time around.

Thanks!

I'm using the Bakpak 2 for my 46g. I removed the biobale after about 1 month. The skimmer works fine. I had some bubble issues but using the foam insert in the outlet pipe improved it immensely. I now use the biobale chamber for my heater and that works great. If you have 1 pound of LR per gallon you don't need the biobale as long as your bio load is light.

I went with the 2R, because I was upgrading my Prizm (also on a 40g breeder) and already had an established setup with 60+lbs of LR.
Considering the price for either skimmer is the same, but they charge $10 for the bio bale separately, I'd say the standard 2 might work better for you...at least you'd have the option to use the bale.

Go with the 2R. The bio bale will get packed full of gunk over time and if you have LR than you have all the Bio filtration you need.

go with the 2R. its an awsome skimmer. you will have less micro bubbles and the "bio-bale" is pretty much useless.

I have it myself and it works great! make sure you get the pre-skimmer. Not only does it improve efficency, but it also hides that ugly pump and wires!

yeah, check out my gallery to see what it looks like. Note that the tank is only 24" wide.

cool tip: ditch the air valve and hook up about 3 feet of soft silicone airline tubing. this will work wonders to cut down on the noise!

LOVE THE PRE-SKIMMMER!!!

I have finally begun to setup up my 40 Gallon Breeder (doing the obligatory tap water test to make sure there are no leaks, etc.)

The Rio looked ugly hanging off the Bak Pak. I put on the Pre-Skimmer...and WOW...you can hardly see it! I got the Oceanvisions Black Background..and the Black Pre-skimmer blends right into the back!!

Thanks for the tip about the pre-skimmer..I did not even know it existed!

WC

no problem! Its suposed to help with the efficency of the skimmer, but I like it more for its pump-hiding qualities.

Back
Top Bottom