Cycle complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Good evening everyone... So my ammonia levels over the past 3 days have been .25, .25, and .50 ppm, and today tested at 0, whew! Is that considered cycled, or does the ammonia level get much higher during the spike?

Also, since this is newly established tank, 2 weeks, and I made the mistake of using tap water (which apparently has a high copper content because I put a poly-filter in and it turned light blue), I am doing PWC's with RO/DI water. What should my WC maintenance schedule be? How much water and how often? Also, what should I keep the gravity at? It is at 1.026 currently, is that on the high side? Any input is great... And regarding my original post and the cycle... Since ammonia is at 0, should I add a hardy fish in to the mix, or wait to do more water changes for stability and overall better dilution of the original tap water? Thanks for any feedback! Here's a most recent pic after an additional 16 lbs of LR went in :cool:

image-3598239855.jpg

pcdebb said:
how are your nitrates?

That's what is throwing me off... Nitrites and nitrates have been testing at 0's since initial setup... Here's the spreadsheet info for my tests since 6/13... Hopefully you can make the #'s out..

image-705185440.jpg

for a cycle to be complete, the ammonia goes to 0 but you start to see a nitrAte reading. FWIW one my FW tanks are all zero but has been setup with fish for over a year, so I don't know if that matters or not with SW

Ok, you were ALMOST there haha. I would put a frozen shrimp in a net and put it in the tank. The shrimp will decompose and boost ammonia. For the cycle to be complete, you need ammonia and nitrite to spike and fall and then end up with nitrates. The amount of nitrates depends on the amount of ammonia. Do a series of pwcs to bring them down then your ready for fish!

So will that spike kill my turbo snails? 8-( and when you say PWC's, should I wait for the spike, and then start? Or start them now? And how often and how much water should I be changing? Thanks!

At the end of a cycle, your ammonia and nitrites will be 0. Nitrates are the last piece of the nitrogen cycle. Nitrate will accumulate as a result. To bring trates down to acceptable levels, a very large PWC is done. YOu can then add fish at this point.

As for the ammonia\nitrite spike, yes it will most likely kill the snails. Fish and inverts should not be added to a tank until a cycle is complete and a large PWC is done.

Ok thanks! So should I be doing any water changes at all now during the cycle, or only at the nitrate stage?

crister13 said:
Ok, you were ALMOST there haha. I would put a frozen shrimp in a net and put it in the tank. The shrimp will decompose and boost ammonia. For the cycle to be complete, you need ammonia and nitrite to spike and fall and then end up with nitrates. The amount of nitrates depends on the amount of ammonia. Do a series of pwcs to bring them down then your ready for fish!

Cooked shrimp or raw??

Ok guys! Finally got a nitrAte reading! It's at 20 ppm... What's ideal level to keep it below for fish to be happy in?

Back
Top Bottom