Death of a chromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my chromis died today. All three seemed healthy when I purchased them but I did notice that one always hide in the rocks from the day I got them. My water parameters are fine. Could he have been stressed and that caused his death. I didn't see the other two bullying him...

20 gallon. They are only about 1 1/2" long so plenty of room in the tank

Chromis usually dwindle down to one over time. I wouldn't be surprised if you lost a second one soon as well. They are technically a damsel and will kill each other, just not always in front of you.

Its infortunate but it does happen. It doesnt mean you did anything wrong and as long as your water is testing fine then i wouldnt stress it too much. Some fish just dont make it, remember that they have most likely traveled thousands of miles to get to your tank with not perfect conditions alot of times.

Chromis do that? I thought they were schooling fish? Says on liveaquria to get 3 or more because they do better in schools.

Chromis for Sale: Blue and Green Chromis and other Reef Species

See very top says they enjoy schools. So why would they kill one another? I have no experience with chromis so I can't say what they do, but I was thinking about adding a few for a schooling fish in my tank. So It would be helpful to know if they do indeed kill one another!

What else is in your 20 gallon tank may I ask?

Chromis do that? I thought they were schooling fish? Says on liveaquria to get 3 or more because they do better in schools.

Chromis for Sale: Blue and Green Chromis and other Reef Species

See very top says they enjoy schools. So why would they kill one another? I have no experience with chromis so I can't say what they do, but I was thinking about adding a few for a schooling fish in my tank. So It would be helpful to know if they do indeed kill one another!

What else is in your 20 gallon tank may I ask?

My friend had 6, now he has 1. They killed each other. Type in chromis killing other chromis and you will see lots of ppl with similar results. A school is not 3 fish, in the wild these fish are found in huge groups like 50+ so aggression gets spread but usually in captivity the big one picks on the littler ones and kills them. I've seen it at my store I work at too. We will get a bunch and ill lose them slowly over the next couple weeks until there is just 1.

My friend had 6, now he has 1. They killed each other. Type in chromis killing other chromis and you will see lots of ppl with similar results. A school is not 3 fish, in the wild these fish are found in huge groups like 50+ so aggression gets spread but usually in captivity the big one picks on the littler ones and kills them. I've seen it at my store I work at too. We will get a bunch and ill lose them slowly over the next couple weeks until there is just 1.

That sucks! Thanks for letting me know! That would have sucked for me to find out. :p

I am also starting a Pet store, so it's nice to know! Well, I hope I will be starting a pet store. Lots of work left to do before I even go for a loan. :p

That sucks! Thanks for letting me know! That would have sucked for me to find out. :p

I am also starting a Pet store, so it's nice to know! Well, I hope I will be starting a pet store. Lots of work left to do before I even go for a loan. :p

Yeah no problem. Some people do have success with them but from what I've seen one always bullies the others.

I'll agree with that, I've had up to six chromis, they disappeared over time, one at a time. ... Always wondered what happened to them.

+1 on a school isn't 6 fish. Everyone I know that started with a small grouping ended up with just one. Never tried 50 at a time, but my bet is that works far better.

Kinda off topic, and not trying to hijack the thread, but...Do Anthias do the same thing? I know most people do not do big numbers together, but I was originally thinking if adding 7-9 Chromis to my 240g, but now am reconsidering and thinking maybe a male Anthias (not sure which, but one that does not need low light) with like four females for a little "school".

Kinda off topic, and not trying to hijack the thread, but...Do Anthias do the same thing? I know most people do not do big numbers together, but I was originally thinking if adding 7-9 Chromis to my 240g, but now am reconsidering and thinking maybe a male Anthias (not sure which, but one that does not need low light) with like four females for a little "school".

I have not seen nor heard of the same thing happening with anthias.

I have not seen nor heard of the same thing happening with anthias.

I've never had them and have never really paid attention to them in other tanks, so I am not sure. Just looking for some alternatives, as I would like a little group of something.

I am new to this forum so my wording of things may be off. But, i have had well over 20 chromis' but i decided to no longer buy them recently. While they are great, colorful, cheap fish, i have begun to notice that they are not a very hardy breed. My tank conditions are optimal and one by one they die off and it never ends. I an left with 2 and i still dont know how their alive. I am sorry for your loss but this fish is very unpredictable and not steady

Back
Top Bottom